Photogrpahy at the zoo

I'm shooting at the zoo to get some nice pictures and practice, not to class myself as a wildlife photographer. I would also like to take pictures of animals in their natural environment, but i think that the zoo pictures will help a lot in imporoving my animal photography.

Thats what its all about. sabbath999 gave some great tips so you can get some fine photos of animals.

Would I will that everyone who wants a photo of a tiger go to Africa?

I don't think you'd get many pictures of Tigers in Africa, rofl.

Anyways, I don't see why people have to criticize people for wanting to take pictures at the zoo. Of course they aren't wildlife photographers, but few people can cough up the thousands for a gigantic telephoto to go out and get good pictures in the wild. At that same rate, most of us can't afford to go to the exotic places that a lot of these animals come from. I think if people want to go and try and get some really amazing photographs of animals, just so they can think "I took that amazing picture of an animal that I will never, ever see face to face in the wild", more power to them.

Would I will that everyone who wants a photo of a tiger go to Africa? Yes.

What do you care if someone wants to take photos at the zoo? Dude, you need to get a life. The OP was asking for advice on taking photos at the zoo, not becoming the next great wildlife photographer. I hardly think he deserves to be belittled for wanting to go to the zoo.

One thing is for sure, most people that shoot at the zoo love animals and therefore at least know where Tigers live.

Sure photos of animals in their natural habitat would be preferred, but a great photographer can take better photos at the zoo than an average photographer on a guided tour of the African wilds.

What do you care if someone wants to take photos at the zoo? Dude, you need to get a life. The OP was asking for advice on taking photos at the zoo, not becoming the next great wildlife photographer. I hardly think he deserves to be belittled for wanting to go to the zoo.

One thing is for sure, most people that shoot at the zoo love animals and therefore at least know where Tigers live.

Sure photos of animals in their natural habitat would be preferred, but a great photographer can take better photos at the zoo than an average photographer on a guided tour of the African wilds.

Such a lame excuse. Tell me how the prison visits go, alright?

You know there are zoo's that do an excellent job of creating a decent "natural habitat" for the animals and do not have cages or glass to shoot through. Now granted, the animals are still caged and because of that, they may behave differently but with the right equipment, good technique and some planning a photographer can come away with some great photos.

I don't doubt that technically good shots can be gotten of zoo animals.

The only other time we photograph captive subjects is in prisons, and there we photograph them to emphasize their captivity. By corollary, I think it's wrong to photograph animals in similar environments to some other end.

Hey Sabbath? When are you going to come to Detroit :) Our zoo is pretty cool! :) Of course I haven't been to too many zoos lately :)

I have a couple of friends that live in the Detroit area that have been bugging me to come up for a visit... I am planning to do so "some time"... but not until next year at least (obviously).

Zoo picture taking in the north is not good (with certain exceptions) in the winter, since the foliage is all dead and a majority of the animals need it 50 degrees or warmer to be out.

Which is, by the way, why my first zoos of the new year are Hilo and Honolulu, when we visit ye-ole hometown in January.

Remind me again why I am not living on the Kona coast any more, and instead am in Missouri? I forget.

Max,

This thread was started by someone asking for advice on particular subject in photography.

What you have done is in a way hijack the thread by making useless comments about how wrong it is to photograph animals in a zoo. This does not help the OP, but merely serves to let everyone know that you

1) Don't like zoo photography

2) Cannot merely keep your mouth shut when you have nothing positive to contribute to the conversation.

I understand that you feel that taking pictures of animals in a zoo that are then passed off as wildlife photography is wrong. I don't think anyone would argue that point.

What I do find arrogant is that you demean everyone who takes pictures of animals in zoo, with the exception of certain people like sabbath who has a higher purpose in mind.

Not only is that arrogant, but it is rude to try, in an online forum with folks you barely know, to guess their heart and determine that they are "lame" to use your term because of the subject matter they choose.

It is for these reasons Max, that you are on my ignore list. Despite the fact that I think you have great insight into photography, it is just not worth having to weed through the mountain of condescending statements to find those kernels of knowledge.

Max,

This thread was started by someone asking for advice on particular subject in photography.

What you have done is in a way hijack the thread by making useless comments about how wrong it is to photograph animals in a zoo. This does not help the OP, but merely serves to let everyone know that you

1) Don't like zoo photography

2) Cannot merely keep your mouth shut when you have nothing positive to contribute to the conversation.

I understand that you feel that taking pictures of animals in a zoo that are then passed off as wildlife photography is wrong. I don't think anyone would argue that point.

What I do find arrogant is that you demean everyone who takes pictures of animals in zoo, with the exception of certain people like sabbath who has a higher purpose in mind.

Not only is that arrogant, but it is rude to try, in an online forum with folks you barely know, to guess their heart and determine that they are "lame" to use your term because of the subject matter they choose.

It is for these reasons Max, that you are on my ignore list. Despite the fact that I think you have great insight into photography, it is just not worth having to weed through the mountain of condescending statements to find those kernels of knowledge.

There are many times that I outright ignore threads that I have nothing positive to contribute to. I'm sorry you find my contribution to be negative. My convictions are my convictions. Saying what I've said doesn't make me arrogant. Arrogance is "Making or implying unwarrantable claims to dignity, authority, or knowledge" (OED). I make no such claims. I believe that zoo photography should give you moral and ethical pause. If it doesn't, then you don't appreciate what you're doing. And if it does, but you insist on some bull**** status quo justification of why it's alright in spite of that, then yes, I think you're lame.

I am not a professional wildlife photographer, so I am one of the lame people taking photos at the zoo. However, I DO study human behavior for a living. And can tell you this is his way of getting attention. Being an ass is better than being ignored.

I am just sorry that the OP was subjected to the crap just for asking a simple question.

Most reactions

Back