Photojournalist Camera?

LittleMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sorberaguitars.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to get a professional 35mm camera that I will be able to use alot and hold onto for a long time.
I want to carry it around almost everywhere, so it can't be too super huge.
It also has to be very durable/somewhat rain/dust resistant.
I don't really care how fast it fires bursts/rewinds film etc...
It just needs to be able to adjust to all natural light conditions quickly and it needs to have easy-access buttons for quick compensation.
and a quick autofocus.

it will be a lot of photographing people and in the future I hope to be able to go out in third world countries and get stories there.... and I've looked around and I'm thinking of either getting a Nikon F100 or a Canon EOS-3.

They are both in the same price range and I haven't really spent much money on glass yet. All I have is a Canon 50mm f/1.4 which I can easily sell and get the equivelant Nikon lens. Without losing much money.

So, what should I do? Which direction do you think I should go?

btw, I haven't tried either of these cameras out *yet* so I guess just give me personal choice and specs.

Thanks!
-Chris

I can't really suggest a camera but if you want to save some money I would check out ebay. I know they had some good offers on EOS-3 but I haven't looked at any Nikons. With buying a camera however I would stick with the stores rather buying a used one, just in case. I bought a new Lowepro Photo Trekker AW II Backpack for $149.
Here are some store listings for the EOS-3
Here are some store listings for the Nikon F100

santino said:
Eos 1N or 1N-RS (or even 1V but it's a bit expensive). all Eos 1 stuff is great and pretty reliable.
Do you think that by any chance ebay would be an ok place to buy a camera this expensive? Or would I be better off saving longer and getting it new?

If you want something on the cheap that is a great camera, look at the Canon A2. I bought one earlier in the year and absolutly L-O-V-E it! I don't think I've ever loved a 35mm film camera this much and I paid $295 used (in a camera shop) with the auto drive attachment. It was my favorite thing to shoot with in JT with the rest of the TPF crew. :thumbsup: The controls are really similar to the 10D so it's easy to learn (well, if you already have a Canon DSLR) :lol: ) You should be able to get a screamin deal on one on ebay.

If you're determined to go Nikon - get an N80. Also a rockin camera! :headbang:

ebay could be ok, depends on the condition of the cam. such cams are pro cams, so if you get one from a "pro" photojournalist it could be in pretty used condition, but those cams are tanks, really, incredible stuff. the eos 3 isn't that good, it's autofocus isn't that fast and it hasn't got 100% field of view (and that is important to me). if you would get a 1N (1V) try to get the power booster too, it's pretty handy to own a extra vertical grip.
btw. Jim Nachtwey owns a 1N (from 1995) he still uses it, he's journalist for 20 years now and been to all wars that happened in those 20 years. He has the 1N (two to be honest) for 10 years now and trust me, he works under really bad conditions and the cam still works.

photogoddess said:
If you want something on the cheap that is a great camera, look at the Canon A2. I bought one earlier in the year and absolutly L-O-V-E it! I don't think I've ever loved a 35mm film camera this much and I paid $295 used (in a camera shop) with the auto drive attachment. It was my favorite thing to shoot with in JT with the rest of the TPF crew. :thumbsup: The controls are really similar to the 10D so it's easy to learn (well, if you already have a Canon DSLR) :lol: ) You should be able to get a screamin deal on one on ebay.

If you're determined to go Nikon - get an N80. Also a rockin camera! :headbang:
I'm not too woried about the money... At the moment I am just trying to figure out what I need for my future.
And I'm also not biased to either Nikon or Canon... like I said.... I can go either way.
This weekend I will be going to the camera store to try out the different high-end cameras... but until then..... give me direction. ;)

ummm... what will I gain (realisticly) by going for the EOS 1v rather then the EOS-3. Is it necessary for photojournalism? I was under the impression that it doesn't really matter for photojournalism unless you're doing sports.

of course I could very easily be wrong.... hahaha

on the other hand the Eos 3 has 45 autofocus spots and the 1N just 5 but that doesn't really matter unless you do sports photography (btw, the 1V has 45 too).
however, you will love a Eos 1, I'm sure, it's IMO the best AF 35mm camera.

santino said:
on the other hand the Eos 3 has 45 autofocus spots and the 1N just 5 but that doesn't really matter unless you do sports photography (btw, the 1V has 45 too).
however, you will love a Eos 1, I'm sure, it's IMO the best AF 35mm camera.
So, is the EOS-1v an upgrade to the EOS-1n? I'm not too familiar to the 1n's specs.

yeah, there was the Eos 1, then the 1N and now the 1V. (there were different types of N's and V's with pellicle mirrors, power boosters and so on). the 1V is pretty much the same as the 1N but it has 45 AF spots instead of 5 and you can connect it to your computer to download the data of your taken pics (f stop and so on).

santino said:
Jim Nachtwey owns a 1N (from 1995) he still uses it, he's journalist for 20 years now and been to all wars that happened in those 20 years. He has the 1N (two to be honest) for 10 years now and trust me, he works under really bad conditions and the cam still works.
One of the things that got me to buy a 1 series was seeing those poor cameras getting beat up and working perfectly in all the crazy places Nachtwey went in "War Photographer"

I just bought a Eos-1 with power booster and it works great. Its rugged and heavy, but I really like how it feels in my hands, its a big camera. The only bad thing about an Eos-1 is only 1 autofocus point, but its fast.

Wel thank you Santino, and everyone one else!
I think I will go with the 1v
I understand I'll have to save a while... but it looks like it will last me a looong time. :) and that's what I'm looking for mostly.

Thanks again!
-Chris

Okay, enough Canon talk already!..... I actually do have a few Canons, but I can't speak to anything of the newer models. I switched to the Nikon system when Canon came out with there EOS system. All of my Canon lenses became obsolete as there was no compatibility retained. Nikon, on the other hand, does retain backwards compatibility with there F mount lenses.

As far as something light weight in a "Professional SLR", they are all heavy by comparison to amateur cameras. In the Nikon family of cameras, the “F” designation indicates the professional line of cameras (F3, F4, F4s, F5, F100, and F6 to cover the last 30 years). They all have 100% view through the view finder with the exception of the F100 coming in at a close 96%. The F100 would make for a nice professional class “pocket camera”.

Lets talk Nikon now. Either the F100 or F6 would be recommended if thats the way you want to go. I have a N90, and can hold onto it for a long time without a problem.

But for photojournalism...... I might go into a different direction. Maybe a Leica M7. Amazingly sharp lenses and very quiet shutter. Or possible a TLR. Being able to hold at your waist gives you nice advantage if you are trying to be discreet. And again, a nice quiet shutter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back