Photos: 3 Very Different Views Of Japanese Internment

but we are still able to talk and react or change the problem so far ,al

A very disturbing and embarrassing violation of civil liberties. Hard for me to relate to the blatant, racist thought process. Unfortunately, under the surface, I don't see much has changed to this day.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Under the banner of 'National security' the USSC said it was 'legal', but the Justice Department conceded that it was in error (albeit, several decades later):
Korematsu v. United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A very disturbing and embarrassing violation of civil liberties. Hard for me to relate to the blatant, racist thought process. Unfortunately, under the surface, I don't see much has changed to this day.

Don't forget, you're looking at this with 21st century attitudes. The culture of the early 1940s was very, very different, and while it's fine to act outraged and offended by events in the past, you can be sure our great-great-great grand-children will find fault with things we've done and the manner in which we've acted. This was 'right' at the time, in the same way that slavery was once 'right' and the earth was once flat. I am not by any stretch condoning the internment of people of foreign ancestory (Canada did it too), codemning those responsible without being able to see the world that they saw is equally wrong.

Don't forget, you're looking at this with 21st century attitudes. The culture of the early 1940s was very, very different, and while it's fine to act outraged and offended by events in the past, you can be sure our great-great-great grand-children will find fault with things we've done and the manner in which we've acted. This was 'right' at the time, in the same way that slavery was once 'right' and the earth was once flat. I am not by any stretch condoning the internment of people of foreign ancestory (Canada did it too), codemning those responsible without being able to see the world that they saw is equally wrong.
I agree

The most disturbing thought to me regarding the camps ... is why were the Japanese interned and not Germans and Italians who also declared war on the USA? Even at that time, in the '40's, people questioned the obvious racism of this action. My father, who lived on the West Coast, who was a Marine in the first wave at Guadalcanal, who decades later was totally uncomfortable at even visiting Japan ... felt the camps were totally wrong and ... well ... anti-American. I think he wasn't alone with his sentiments.

The camps were wrong then and they would be wrong now.

This brings back memories. In college a group of us contributed/wrote an oral history of the camp at Manzanar. The professor that ran the college's photo lab was interned at Manzanar. I remember him speaking of handmaking cameras and finding ways to develop and print.

This is something that is not taught as History of North America.

All Japanese along the west coast of Canada and USA were rounded up ... including my parents, uncles, aunts, and grandparents were interned here in Canada.
Here in Canada, the government took possession of whatever they could not carry (and sold it off to the public).
The Japanese were not the only ones they did this to, during WWII.
There was a greed factor here which fed the camps, Americans of Japanese descent receive ten cents to the dollar for their homes and farms.

If that happened to me ... I would be hard pressed to not to hate the country that wrongfully imprisoned me and others like me. A humble salute to the 442.

There was a guy on Star Trek that was in one of those camps, Zulu?. Anyway, I heard him talk about it on XM radio and he was real vocal about the whole thing and offered an interesting perspective in that he was a child while in there.

There was a greed factor here which fed the camps, Americans of Japanese descent receive ten cents to the dollar for their homes and farms.

If that happened to me ... I would be hard pressed to not to hate the country that wrongfully imprisoned me and others like me. A humble salute to the 442.

I agree - it would be easy for me to feel bitter and angry if this had happened to me.

And yet, not everyone did feel that way. Today happens to be the Remembrance Day for the Japanese Internment, something I hadn't known when I posted the original link. I looked for new stories about it and the only major news outlet that published anything was NBC: Editorial: Day of Remembrance Is a Reminder to Continue to Fight Injustice

It was interesting enough, but it was another article that really struck me. It's about Norman Mineta, a Japanese-American who had been interned, and who went on to a life of public service.
Former Cabinet member talks internment, public service

"Widely recognized for his work on civil rights, Mineta was the primary force behind the passage of the Civil Liberties Act of 1988, or the Japanese reparations bill, which was the first time the United States formally apologized for its treatment of its Japanese citizens and immigrants during the war.
Mineta also played a crucial role in responding to the events of Sept. 11, 2001. As secretary of transportation, it was Mineta’s call to ground all 4,546 airplanes flying over the U.S. at the time. He spoke about Bush’s emphasis on avoiding racial and ethnic profiling in the aftermath of the attacks. Referring to a cabinet meeting on Sept. 13 where concerns over the civil liberties of Muslim and Middle-Eastern Americans rose to the forefront of the discussion, Mineta recalled the president saying, 'We don’t want to have happen today what happened to Norm [Mineta] in 1942.'"

While it's good to hear that the sentiment was against profiling, unfortunately the reality on the ground was something different. I understand that the 40s were a different time, and even though people might have felt uncomfortable about the internment, it may have been harder to speak out about it. But it's now 2016 and we DO know it's wrong, and we CAN speak out more easily, and so we should, in order to help prevent a repeat performance.

There was a guy on Star Trek that was in one of those camps, Zulu?. Anyway, I heard him talk about it on XM radio and he was real vocal about the whole thing and offered an interesting perspective in that he was a child while in there.

That was George Takei, who played Sulu in the original series.

Embarrassing relativistic twaddle. Totally lame apologia for a brutal example of racial profiling.

Embarrassing relativistic twaddle. Totally lame apologia for a brutal example of racial profiling.

No, what it is, is the difference between how different eras view things.
Do you really think future generations won't look at our behavior now and be appalled by some things?
Noone made any excuses for what was done, but it's foolish and unrealistic to look at past events with modern rose colored glasses thinking you have the high moral ground. People always think they have the moral high ground when looking at past events.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

This is something that is not taught as History of North America.

All Japanese along the west coast of Canada and USA were rounded up ... including my parents, uncles, aunts, and grandparents were interned here in Canada.
Here in Canada, the government took possession of whatever they could not carry (and sold it off to the public).
The Japanese were not the only ones they did this to, during WWII.
In the UK Italians were intervened on The Isle of Man

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back