Photos from Australia Zoo

David8

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Spent the day at the zoo last week. Please let me know what you think.

$DSC_3556_resized.jpg

$DSC_3761_resized.jpg

$DSC_3782_resized.jpg

And the following two taken by my wife:
$DSC_3069_resized.jpg

$DSC_3085_resized.jpg

Hello!
Well I am not a professional and off course I like a lot your pictures. What kind of lens do you have?
The only thing I could suggest is not to cut the parrot at the bottom part of your picture!
By the way, which was the zoo you have visited? Thank you!

Hello!
Well I am not a professional and off course I like a lot your pictures. What kind of lens do you have?
The only thing I could suggest is not to cut the parrot at the bottom part of your picture!
By the way, which was the zoo you have visited? Thank you!

It was the "Australia Zoo" on the sunshine coast of QLD. These were all taken with a Nikon D3100 and a Sigma 70-300mm lens. I agree with your suggestion for the Macaw, it would have been nice to get the whole bird.

This looks perfect and your hard work isn’t wasted at all.

Well we took over 750 photos that day so that is good to hear. These were five of the best. Glad you like them. :)

You might want to consider cropping some of them to remove the "Amputation" look. Take the Tiger in the first shot, for example. The back third of his body is missing as are his front legs. I would consider cropping that to just a head shot. Same for the pair of Otters and the Macaw. Don't amputate tails and legs and tops of heads for no reason, include them in the shot.

I like animal shots and often take pictures in zoos. One bit of advise that I would offer (take it or leave it I am no pro) is to try and isolate the animals from the backgrounds to make the shots not look like they came from a zoo. Nice shots.
below are a few examples of what I mean

The wolf by jaomul, on Flickr

Eagle by jaomul, on Flickr

Tiger by jaomul, on Flickr

I always thought Australia's zoo were just called "the backyard"?

Thank you for the info!
Ok I see. Are you satisfied by the Sigma 70 - 300 mm lens? I am looking for info to compare it with a Nikon one. Thanks you.

Thank you for the info!
Ok I see. Are you satisfied by the Sigma 70 - 300 mm lens? I am looking for info to compare it with a Nikon one. Thanks you.

Sorry. I only just saw this. I'm very happy with the sigma. Mainly because it was so cheap. Although I haven't shot with the Nikon, so I can't help you compare them. My one gripe is that the autofocus can be a little slow and noisy. But I haven't found this to be a major problem.

David.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back