Photoshoot I shot this weekend .. Feedback Wanted

Sevillian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, Im new here so I just wanted to share a few photos of this shoot I had for an upcoming hip hop artist named Da Rilla. I have more of a street style ..

I'd love any feedback. Thanks :D

34503329pj9.jpg

67460114ji3.jpg

67607157qq6.jpg

75851210vx5.jpg

31459223pz0.jpg

26822857ke1.jpg

35210034ul4.jpg

56360314fz1.jpg

86958230jw9.jpg

l_b98473a6b73b49d1b3407cc68efc2cf0.jpg

60172559iu8.jpg

26337163fr7.jpg

28574725vi0.jpg

12772772ef7.jpg

58115029wv2.jpg

i think i like 7 the most, out of them, to me the subject matter is bleh, but im not a rap fan, I would get rid of the last one, simply because wherever your focal point is, im imagining the end of the gun, is way too dark.

got some good shots. like the wheel shot with the rap star down low.

id suggest a little flash fill in some to crisp them up.

where in socal are u located?

LOL.. He's funny...

It's like a documentary about racial confusion, felons owning handguns (if the teardrops are legit), breaking forum rules, the yin and yang of a thug with religious symbols on his hand next to the materialism of an expensive watch and gang tattoos.. Wow.. Deep pictures. You captured the "essence" of this guy pretty well.

Asking for feedback about these pictures on this forum won't get you the type of feedback you need.. Sure, the professionals may pick on the lighting or the composition, but do you really think the people that these pictures will appeal to have any clue about that? All they need is powerful images that scream a message to lure them in and sell his music.

Last edited:
LOL.. He's funny...

It's like a documentary about racial confusion, felons owning handguns (if the teardrops are legit), breaking forum rules, the yin and yang of a thug with religious symbols on his hand next to the materialism of an expensive watch and gang tattoos.. Wow.. Deep pictures. You captured the "essence" of this guy pretty well.

Asking for feedback about these pictures on this forum won't get you the type of feedback you need.. Sure, the professionals may pick on the lighting or the composition, but do you really think the people that these pictures will appeal to have any clue about that? All they need is powerful images that scream a message to lure them in and sell his music.

Totally agree 100% ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

LOL.. He's funny...

the last question and last sentence is one of the most stupid things I have ever heard on this site.

Well .. The guy is who he is. I've got to know the guy for a while now and I can tell you with absolute honesty that he lives his life true.

Thug to the fullest.

Not saying that lifestyle is appealing but I'm trying to capture him as a person. He is about his money, his ice, his guns, his tatts ... He's about gang banging.... He's about drug money ..

Thats who HE is .. thats not who I am ..

But as a photographer, Im only trying to capture HIS life .. everyday life ...

So thank you for all the criticism ... I'll be posting more shots of my work.

:thumbup::D

LOL.. He's funny...

Yes.

OP- Most of the shots suffer from what looks like an attempt to have a photo shoot at 12 noon on a cloudless day. There's too much contrast between the light and shadows created by the harsh light. That's not always a bad thing, but your first shots show his face in daylight with one half blown out and the other hald under exposed.

7, 8, and the last are the strongest to me. 7 looks like it's suffering from front focusing though as the wheel looks to be perfectly in focus and your subject is a bit soft.

Were you shooting with anything with natural light? I'm pretty sure that I'm right in my assumption, but I'd like to know if I'm not.

They're not terrible photos. They're not perfect either. They are however, more than adequate for promo photos.

Well .. The guy is who he is. I've got to know the guy for a while now and I can tell you with absolute honesty that he lives his life true.

Thug to the fullest.

Not saying that lifestyle is appealing but I'm trying to capture him as a person. He is about his money, his ice, his guns, his tatts ... He's about gang banging.... He's about drug money ..

Thats who HE is .. thats not who I am ..

But as a photographer, Im only trying to capture HIS life .. everyday life ...

So thank you for all the criticism ... I'll be posting more shots of my work.

:thumbup::D

I wasn't being critical of your work at all. I think you did some really nice work and posing..

My only issue, as the father of 2 young girls, is that I hate seeing ignorance glorified.. Sadly, by the looks of his attire and tattoos he's not just acting, but actually lives the life he portrays.. having guns pointed at the screen seems like a hot button issue to me..

Nice work.

Last edited:
Yeah, all the shots were taken with harsh lighting ..

The sun was popping in and out during the shoot .. and the inside shots were taken using standard room lighting.

Also keep in mind these shots were taken using a simple Point and Shoot camera.

where are you located? id luv to shoot something like this.

Most reactions

Back