Photoshooting Model/Online storel Catalog

stizzle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,
First post here. I have a Canon T2i, 2x 430 ex ii, Cowboy Studio wireless trigger and Polaris SPD 100 digital exposure meter.
Currently i am looking into softboxes and background to shoot for a boutique website that does clothing and accessories.
The shoots will be full body and would love to get close as possible to this catalog [URL="http://cupcakefashion.com.au/collections/all-auto"]http://cupcakefashion.com.au/collections/all-auto
A
n[/URL]y recommendations on background, softboxes and lighting are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

What is your skill level? Reading material might be more important. To get good light for a FULL body shot... you are going to need a very large softbox and some studio strobes. The speedlights arn't going to be enough.

Hey MJ, i'm not too advanced. Took a couple of photgraphy courses in college and mainly am doing this for a favor for my sister. I started reading up on Light, Science and Magic just a few days ago. As for the softbox, would 24" x 32" be large enough? I'm looking into getting two, but i would like your input on some decent studio strobe lights as well.

Strobes are definately going to be easier. Get seamless white paper. It is cheap and easy. You can even get away with just taping it to a wall instead of buying a background stand. I'm thinking the main light is a beauty dish above the camera, pointed down slightly and either 2 small fill lights or reflectors( which for all we know could be foam board). Since the background does not seem to be back lit and is still on the white side, I'm guessing they used a slow shutter speed to get all the ambient light they could to keep the background light. Maybe 1/60? Definitely have a tripod handy.

Hey MJ, i'm not too advanced. Took a couple of photgraphy courses in college and mainly am doing this for a favor for my sister. I started reading up on Light, Science and Magic just a few days ago. As for the softbox, would 24" x 32" be large enough? I'm looking into getting two, but i would like your input on some decent studio strobe lights as well.

Every now and then they will run deals on this set for $299 which is a BARGAIN: Calumet Genesis 200 2-Light Kit

The 24"x32" is large enough for a face portrait but if you are wanting even lighting for the full body it is going to be too small. You'll notice the falloff once you go below the shoulders. You could stack two of them on top of eachother and set them at same power. That would give you 64" height and pretty even lighting. I'm no expert though, just a hobbiest that knows a few things.

Strobes are definately going to be easier. Get seamless white paper. It is cheap and easy. You can even get away with just taping it to a wall instead of buying a background stand. I'm thinking the main light is a beauty dish above the camera, pointed down slightly and either 2 small fill lights or reflectors( which for all we know could be foam board). Since the background does not seem to be back lit and is still on the white side, I'm guessing they used a slow shutter speed to get all the ambient light they could to keep the background light. Maybe 1/60? Definitely have a tripod handy.
Ehhh? Really? I'm looking at the page and seeing totally flat lighting; my guess would be two large SBs or strip-boxes, one either side of the camera and the same power.

I guess the most important question is: Does the OP simply want to replicate the shots in the linked gallery, or produce something with a little more flare/drama?

Ehhh? Really? I'm looking at the page and seeing totally flat lighting; my guess would be two large SBs or strip-boxes, one either side of the camera and the same power.

I guess the most important question is: Does the OP simply want to replicate the shots in the linked gallery, or produce something with a little more flare/drama?

Just looking to replicate the shots in the gallery.
Really appreciate everyone's input!

That's easy: Two lights, same output, same modifier each one about 20-30 off of lens axis and the same distance back from the subject. Large shoot-throughs, strip-boxes or similar.

Haha, that's quite good, thanks!

F/8 @ 1/160 at lowest native ISO. Meter your lights off that. There's really no reason to go below 1/125 or f/8. Whether you keep your overhead lights on can play into the lightness of your background. You want to capture the detail of each outfit. Good luck and have fun.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back