Photoshop CS4 Help

jgeesey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am getting photoshop CS4. Can anyone can recomend a good training dvd and where is the best (cheapest) place to buy it? Thanks!

I find books work better than DVD's. Get them 1 at a time.

Adobe Photoshop CS4: Classroom In A Book : by Adobe Press

Adobe Photoshop CS4 for Photographers : by Martin Evening

Photoshop CS4 Workflow : by Tim Grey

The Adobe Photoshop CS4 Book for Digital Photographers : by Scott Kelby

Photoshop CS4 Down & Dirty Tricks : by Scott Kelby

I find books work better than DVD's. Get them 1 at a time.

Adobe Photoshop CS4 for Photographers : by Martin Evening

I have this book, albeit the CS3 edition, and I find it very, very handy. An excellent buy.

I also recommend the Lynda dvds. They have some very geared specifically to photographic retouching.

Lynda Training.
Kelby Training.

Obviously the sky is the limit to how far you want to go. For basic editing, I'd recommend LightRoom, I believe it is a bit cheaper and is a bit faster when you have LOTs of images.

Photoshop Tutorials, Tips, Photoshop Cafe, free resource for Photoshop Users, Photoshop 7 to Photoshop CS4 and Lightroom. The ultimate Photoshop training is another good source for quick tips

Get onto your favorite search engine and as noted here, the sky is your limit. There are just a ton of very good tutorials out there that are free. I've always seemed to get it faster from a video tutorial than a book but that is something that is a personal preference.

If you can handle his constant attempts at humor Scott Kelby has some good books on both Photoshop and Lightroom. No doubt that Lightroom provides for quick conversions but it provides nowhere near the options that Photoshop does. I quit using Lightroom for my Raw conversions and am now using C1 Pro as my primary. If I need a quick conversion and don't want to take the time to open C1 I will use bridge and photoshop (camera raw) to do them. It is the same engine it is that Lightroom packages it up in nice UI.

I joined NAPP shortly after getting photoshop. They have a very large selection of both video and graphical tutorials and they have a very informative forum for photoshop and Lightroom. I think it is money well spent. If you are planning on buying any plug ins for photoshop they have negotiated special pricing for members and it is easy to get your membership price back in just what you save on these purchases.

Over the years I have bought a few books and by far my favorite author for Photoshop is Martin Evening. Just an excellent instructor and author.

I think I'm just a bit overwhelmed and trying to learn too much too fast. Your comments have been VERY helpful in giving me some places to start. MANY THANKS! :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back