PhotoShop Elements 14

Warhorse

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought this program when it was new. Never really figured it out.

I just loaded it onto my laptop, and found out it does not like Nikon NEF raw files. Is it good for anything else?

I suppose if your careful, you could do slight tweaks on any Jpegs.

I bought this program when it was new. Never really figured it out.

I just loaded it onto my laptop, and found out it does not like Nikon NEF raw files. Is it good for anything else?

One workaround is to use the free Adobe DNG Converter software application, and convert the .NEF files to .DNG files, and then the application CAN open the images. I've done this very thing with multiple olde copies of Adobe software when new cameras came on the market, and my software was unable to open the raw files (for both Fuji and for Nikon cameras).

Here is an official Adobe page with the download links for both Mac OS and Windoze, as well as information, descriptions, and other software downloads.

Digital Negative (DNG), Adobe DNG Converter | Adobe Photoshop CC

Thanks for that DNG link Derrel. Unfortunately, it says that it will work for Elements 3 - Elements 12, and I have Elements 14.

I may try downloading it any ways, it can not hurt anything to try it.

Thanks for that DNG link Derrel. Unfortunately, it says that it will work for Elements 3 - Elements 12, and I have Elements 14.

I may try downloading it any ways, it can not hurt anything to try it.

I really think that it will work with any version of the Adobe .DNG standard. I suspect that the page might not have been updated since Elements 12 was current.

I've found that .NEF files that have been converted to .DNG files require a bit less storage space. SOME raw files, like those from my Fuji S2 Pro (which used a weird sensor array), showed very substantial file storage savings when converted from .RAF to .DNG.

Looking at a recent day's shoot from the Oregon Coast, I see my original 24-megabyte Nikon .NEF files, 210 images, using 5 gigabytes on-disk (5,003,172,570 bytes), but the DNG Converter folder has 208 images that require only 4.06 gigabytes storage space (4,055,824,064 bytes). This is enough of a file storage savings to enable the entire day's shoot to be backed up to a single DVD disc in .DNG format, whereas the .NEF originals would require two DVD discs.

You may just need to update the software. Did you check to see if any updates on Adobe's site?

You may just need to update the software. Did you check to see if any updates on Adobe's site?
Yup, got the latest updates to it.

Seems like Adobe does not like any raw photo's other than DNG.

that doesn't seem right. I would maybe put in a trouble ticket with Adobe support.

Although I'm "up to" Elements 2018, I owned Elements 14, and it loaded Nikon's RAW files with no problems. I use it on both Dell laptop and desktop computers. I've only owned Nikon digital cameras, BTW.

I really think that it will work with any version of the Adobe .DNG standard. I suspect that the page might not have been updated since Elements 12 was current.

I've found that .NEF files that have been converted to .DNG files require a bit less storage space. SOME raw files, like those from my Fuji S2 Pro (which used a weird sensor array), showed very substantial file storage savings when converted from .RAF to .DNG.

Looking at a recent day's shoot from the Oregon Coast, I see my original 24-megabyte Nikon .NEF files, 210 images, using 5 gigabytes on-disk (5,003,172,570 bytes), but the DNG Converter folder has 208 images that require only 4.06 gigabytes storage space (4,055,824,064 bytes). This is enough of a file storage savings to enable the entire day's shoot to be backed up to a single DVD disc in .DNG format, whereas the .NEF originals would require two DVD discs.
It does indeed work with Elements 14, thanks Derrel.

Most reactions

Back