Photoshop "how to book"

cowleystjames

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Can anyone recommend an idiots guide to photoshop.
I have a trial version to evaluate but need some help getting to grips with it, so looking at a "how to" book to start me off.
There are so many manuals and guides out there that its a bit confusing as to which one is going to help with the basics.

You might check out Scott Kelby's books. I have his LR4 book and he takes a very simple approach to learning it and processing files.

The Classroom In A Book is more about graphic arts than editing photographs. I found it not all that helpful regarding editing photographs.

Photoshop is so complex there are usually several ways to accomplish the same end result, but it does help to be shown at least 1 way to get a specific result.

Scott Kelby's The Adobe Photoshop CS6 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)
is essentially a group of photography editing tutorials.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
^^^^^ Thanks for getting that Keith. Like I said, I have LR4 and if the CS6 is anything like it, you can learn a bunch, as he walks you through everything and explains why he does it.

Scott Kelby's potrait retouching book is outstanding.

^^^^^ Thanks for getting that Keith. Like I said, I have LR4 and if the CS6 is anything like it, you can learn a bunch, as he walks you through everything and explains why he does it.
Unfortunately, Kelby only walks you through those parts that apply to the tools, features, and functions used in each tutorial, and leaves out a lot of tool, feature, function details not applicable to that specific tutorial.

So while Kelby's book is good as a starting point with some specific examples, the book that does walk you through everything is Martin Evening's book:
Adobe Photoshop CS6 for Photographers: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
lynda.com has a trial for like 2 weeks i think. While its not a book, there is 100's of hours of video on just Photoshop, and it has taught me a lot in a short time. There is even video on photography as well as tons of other subjects. However you can also find most everything on youtube as well but the video quality and instruction isn't always the best.

lynda.com has a trial for like 2 weeks i think. While its not a book, there is 100's of hours of video on just Photoshop, and it has taught me a lot in a short time. There is even video on photography as well as tons of other subjects. However you can also find most everything on youtube as well but the video quality and instruction isn't always the best.

I highly recommend lynda.com and kelbytraining.com . I found the visual aid to be a perfect method for learning a visual subject. They offer monthly subscriptions and one can learn a ton in one month.

I highly recommend lynda.com and kelbytraining.com . I found the visual aid to be a perfect method for learning a visual subject. They offer monthly subscriptions and one can learn a ton in one month.
^This.

I'm a member of both. Video training at Lynda and Kelby absolutely rocks. Leaves no question at all. I like Lynda best for PS training, and I like Kelby best for photography and lighting type stuff.

As stated, for Lynda, it's 2 weeks free. Then, if you still want or need more, $25 per month, and in a month you can learn a TON. Cancel the subscription when you've gotten all you need or want.

My favorite PS guru there is Deke McClelland. Starts at "A", ends at "Z", leaves nothing out in between, builds on the stuff you've learned already as you go, the way a proper learning curriculum should, and makes it fun in the process.

^This.

I'm a member of both. Video training at Lynda and Kelby absolutely rocks. Leaves no question at all. I like Lynda best for PS training, and I like Kelby best for photography and lighting type stuff.

As stated, for Lynda, it's 2 weeks free. Then, if you still want or need more, $25 per month, and in a month you can learn a TON. Cancel the subscription when you've gotten all you need or want.

My favorite PS guru there is Deke McClelland. Starts at "A", ends at "Z", leaves nothing out in between, builds on the stuff you've learned already as you go, the way a proper learning curriculum should, and makes it fun in the process.

+1 for Deke McClelland. :hail: He is a genius with regards to Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign with a "golden voice" to boot. Thanks Buckster for reminding me of Deke. I kinda took a break from lynda.com once I got my base knowledge down. Gonna check out some intermediate lessons tonight. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back