Photoshop layers question/help?

accphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have an odd question. This may not be possible, but can any of you think of any way to do the following:

Have one layer on which you could make control other layers. Ummm. For instance if you change layer "A", layers "1", "2", "3", etc. would also change.

I want each of those layers to be absolutely identical, but I will be changing their contents regularly and thus don't particularly want to change each one individually. I know I could duplicate the new changed layer but that is going to be a real pain in this particular case.

So is there any brilliant way to do this that I am overlooking?

Thanks so much!

ACC

I dont think its possible and cant understand what your reasons for this would be, could you enlighten us as to what your trying to accomplish please. H

I have 10 text layers in one document and I need to be able to change their text all at once (the text will be identical) as opposed to retyping it 10 times.

ACC

im pretty sure there is no "masterlayer" type of thing youre looking for...

dont rekey it, just copy the layer 10 times...you drag the layer to the new layer button and release...youll get a copy of the layer.

or just have ONE layer of text over the different BG layers (if this applies)....then hide the ones you dont need.

could you put up an example of the piece so we know what you mean?

Yeah sure. Here you go:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w65/accphotography/Cards.jpg

This is a cardstock template. The idea is that the name (Julio Rodriquez in this case) needs to be different for every single card (thus why we're not using Publisher and the like) but the track and date needs to be the same, but will change each time the stock is printed (every few weeks). If I were doing it, it would be no problem and I'd just duplicate the layer and put them in their correct spots, however my husband will be doing the printing and this is stretching his PS ability as it is. I was hoping there was some way to link the layers where he would only have to make the change to the track one time each time he printed the stock.

Thoughts?

ACC

I have 10 text layers in one document and I need to be able to change their text all at once (the text will be identical) as opposed to retyping it 10 times.

In that case I would delete nine of the layers, change the one that remains, and hit Ctrl-J nine times. That will duplicate the changed layer in a matter of seconds.

Ok, I like that idea. However, will it put the 9 new layers in their correct places?

ACC

Probably not but you could use the grid or put in your own guides to make aligning the layers quick & easy.

Ok, I like that idea. However, will it put the 9 new layers in their correct places?

ACC

no, it wont...but here's what i would do (short of using a layout program which is better suited for something like this)...

set up one card the way you want...select those x number of layers...merge them...THEN copy your layer 9 times, and place them (as whole cards) where they need to be.

prior to doing this i would set up guides so you know where to place the cards so you can print 10-up like this.

But I can't merge or I won't be able to change the person's name on each of the 10 cards. That is unless I do each card separately, but that's what I'm trying to avoid. If I could do that I'd be doing this in Publisher instead.

If there were a layout program that could do this job any better, I'd love o know which one as I haven't run across it (that's not saying much though, I admit).

ACC

Sorry, but I can't follow what you're trying to do. You have the advantage of being able to see the layers you're working on. I don't know where the correct places are.

Did you see the screen cap I posted? I've got 10 cards on this template. Each card has a text layer for a *name* that will be different on each card. Each card also has a text layer for a *track and date* which will be the same on each card, but different every time I print a set (every 4 weeks or so). I would like to be able to change the *track and date* one time and have it update the appropriate layer on all 10 cards.

I hope that helps.

ACC

Some super kind gentleman on a Photoshop forum found the solution for me! YAY!

Convert the first text layer to a smart object, then duplicate the smart object as many times as you need it. Position where you want them and voila. When you need to update just double click on the smart object, make your changes, commit and save, and VOILA. SO COOL!

Thanks for all your suggestions!!

ACC

Most reactions

Back