What's new

Photoshop makeup

NoelNTexas

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
269
Reaction score
70
Location
Tyler,Texas
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
DSC_0025.jpg

Before


Vmakeup1.jpg

After
 
NoelNTexas,

I like what you've done with this image. Most of us are tempted to take editing so far that the subject looses too much of the realism and spontaineity. I think you've found the balance here. You've kept enough of the original to reserve its realism. Your model is incredibly beautiful.

Your signature states that your images are ok to edit. And I hope you don't mind that I experimented with it.....

The first rendition is the result of using only photoshop (no plug-ins)
The second rendition is the result of the Neat Image plug-in.
Which do you like better


 
I like your edit, but the green of the eyes is a bit strong. They don't look real.

Great that we still see her pores for a more natural look. BRAVO! :)
 
You are really not supposed to see the pores in a portrait. Despite being natural, the creases in the forhead look out-of-place and tend to draw the attention of the viewer slightly away from the eyes.

Midnite Jam's first rendition seems the most natural of the bunch but even that requires more work to for example slightly lighten up the dark side of her face around the eye particularly and getting the red out of her eye as well.

skieur
 
Just for the record this was not a planned picture.. We were just lying around.
 
Just for the record this was not a planned picture.. We were just lying around.
NoelNTexas, Of the three edits, I like yours more because the candid-natural-like quality wasn't edited out. I got a sense that I was looking at a real person rather than a cooky-cutter concoction from a celebrity magazine when I viewed your edit.

skieur, I deliberately increased the light ratio that you refer to (the dark eye). I wanted to eliminate the flat light appearance in order to produce more of a light-modeling effect that hinted of classic "Rembrandt" portrait lighting. You can google 'Rembrandt lighting' to get an idea of the concept. Also google 'broad lighting', short lighting, butterfly lighting, and paramount llighting. You'll like what you find.

I added a vignette to emphasize the face. I added catch lights in the eyes to create a light source and establish dimention to the iris. I added a hint of rose tint to her cheek to help eliminate the appearance of flat lighting.

And if the irises are red, then I need to calibrate my monitor again. I'll check out that red on my other 3 monitors.

NoelNTexas, If you're interrested, I'll write a tutorial for you. You're lucky to have a natural beauty to model for you.

Cheers,
midnitejam
 
sure shoot me over a tutorial on how you did the first one. I like it
 
midnitejam I love your edit, what steps did you take? looks like a glausin blur on the skin as well as some color blending. Is that correct? I would love to know exactly how you did this.
 
I think you did a great job of the edit and I like the pose too.
Nige
 
midnitejam I love your edit, what steps did you take? looks like a glausin blur on the skin as well as some color blending. Is that correct? I would love to know exactly how you did this.
D-50 and setiawan4gus and anyone else who was interrested, I hope you enjoy these instructions
Cheers-MJ

Dupe layer (just for general purposes)
Healing Brush (Eliminate all blemishes)
Filter. Noise. Median
Radius: 10
Layer’s opacity: 50

Add layer mask.
Paint inside the white mask with black brush
To eliminate the smoothing effect from
Eyes, brows, lashes, edges of nose, hair
Nostrils, and mouth

Eyes
Adjustment Layer. Channel Mixer. Check Monochrome
Select the mask and brush the color back into the irises
Ctrl +click the adjustment layer (makes a selection)
Select. Inverse (puts selection on irises only)
Click on the original layer copy to make it active
Ctrl+J (copies eyes to their own layer)
Change Blend Mode: Screen
Double Click thumbnail of the channel mixer layer
Lower Constant slider until image is fairly dark
(If eyes blue, dupe the lightened Iris Layer until almost white)
Deselect the channel mixer layer

Catch Lights
Create new layer
With small brush, paint white dot in each eye were pupil and iris meat
Adjust opacity until catch lights look realistic

Create highlights in iris
Create new layer
Paint section of iris opposite the catch light with white
Adjust the layer’s opacity until the area opposite the catch light resembles a highlight

Rembrandt Lighting Ilusion
Filter. Render. Lighting. Effects. Style: 2 o’clock Spotlight
Change the spotlight to 10 o’clock position
Using shape and size of light and the Negative Sliders and Narrow Sliders adjust
The shape and intensity of the light that falls upon the face so that the near cheak recieves
50% more light than the far side of the face
The difference of light-to-darkness ratio is about 1 to 1.5
Flatten all the layers.
Create new layer. Change Blending Mode: Overlay.
Select air brush and paint light (white paint) into left cheek and eye
until there is a triangular highlight on the left cheek below the eye and enclude some of the eye in the triangular highlight
Flatten Layers

Create Vignette
Filter. Distort. Lens Correction (to create a vignette)
Vignette Slider: -100 (or until satisfied)
Vignette Midpoint: from +50 to -0 (to suite taste)


My sincerest apologies to NoelNTexas for using his thread to this project.
Thanks to everyone for their interrest.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom