Photoshop makeup

D-50 and setiawan4gus and anyone else who was interrested, I hope you enjoy these instructions
Cheers-MJ

Dupe layer (just for general purposes)
Healing Brush (Eliminate all blemishes)
Filter. Noise. Median
Radius: 10
Layer’s opacity: 50

Add layer mask.
Paint inside the white mask with black brush
To eliminate the smoothing effect from
Eyes, brows, lashes, edges of nose, hair
Nostrils, and mouth

Eyes
Adjustment Layer. Channel Mixer. Check Monochrome
Select the mask and brush the color back into the irises
Ctrl +click the adjustment layer (makes a selection)
Select. Inverse (puts selection on irises only)
Click on the original layer copy to make it active
Ctrl+J (copies eyes to their own layer)
Change Blend Mode: Screen
Double Click thumbnail of the channel mixer layer
Lower Constant slider until image is fairly dark
(If eyes blue, dupe the lightened Iris Layer until almost white)
Deselect the channel mixer layer

Catch Lights
Create new layer
With small brush, paint white dot in each eye were pupil and iris meat
Adjust opacity until catch lights look realistic

Create highlights in iris
Create new layer
Paint section of iris opposite the catch light with white
Adjust the layer’s opacity until the area opposite the catch light resembles a highlight

Rembrandt Lighting Ilusion
Filter. Render. Lighting. Effects. Style: 2 o’clock Spotlight
Change the spotlight to 10 o’clock position
Using shape and size of light and the Negative Sliders and Narrow Sliders adjust
The shape and intensity of the light that falls upon the face so that the near cheak recieves
50% more light than the far side of the face
The difference of light-to-darkness ratio is about 1 to 1.5
Flatten all the layers.
Create new layer. Change Blending Mode: Overlay.
Select air brush and paint light (white paint) into left cheek and eye
until there is a triangular highlight on the left cheek below the eye and enclude some of the eye in the triangular highlight
Flatten Layers

Create Vignette
Filter. Distort. Lens Correction (to create a vignette)
Vignette Slider: -100 (or until satisfied)
Vignette Midpoint: from +50 to -0 (to suite taste)

My sincerest apologies to NoelNTexas for using his thread to this project.
Thanks to everyone for their interrest.

Thanks for the tutorial. I'll show mine after finish editing my photo with your tutorial..

setiawan4gus, I'm flattered:)

One step was omitted in the process......

To add color to the cheeks,
New Layer.
Brush tool (air brush). strength: 10-15 %
Choose a shade of pink and brush cheeks to suite your taste)

Also, when adjusting the degree of smoothness on the complexion, keep in mind that an overly smoothed complexion will not usually be accepted by those of us who may not be accustomed to viewing HDTV and how it renders all complexions to be perfect and porcelan.

You are really not supposed to see the pores in a portrait.

The rules according to you? I think in a portrait that is informal as this one is, it's just right.

I'd much rather see real skin texture rather than everything polished to the point of being un-realistic.

The rules according to you? I think in a portrait that is informal as this one is, it's just right.

I'd much rather see real skin texture rather than everything polished to the point of being un-realistic.

This is a very common subject of debate. There is a particular kind of portrait called a character portrait which reveals every pore, blackhead, wrinkle, every nuiance of a sun-parched-weather beaten-leathery-textured complexion. The most common portrait that you'll see is the fashion/glamour with a porcelain complexion. You see it most often when watching your HD TV. I've become accustomed to and confortable with unrealisticly perfect complexions because of the media's bombardment. I doubt if you'll ever see many character portraits in GQ, Cosmos, Modern Teen, or any of the other fashion and glamour magazines. And I doubt that you will find many non-professional photographers shooting for these magazines and for any other genre that features fashion/glamour shots.

The original edit by the OP is a pleasant median between the more common porcelain glamour portraits and the significant but less common character portraits. I found the light-handed edit on the complexion to be very refreshing on this specific capture.

Most reactions

Back