photoshop?

hi there i'm new to this scene, but i'm fund of taking pictures, but i was wondering if PHOTOSHOP is really a "MUST" or just a "PLUS" in digital pics:confused:?

Nope. Now if you want to "improve" the shots you have (if you think they need improvement), then some post-processing program is going to be needed.

so how about tutorial guides?

The problem with tutorials is that you're going to need to find one specific to what you're trying to use CS3 for. Most tutorials out there are for straight graphic design using CS3, though there are a few Digital Photo guides out there. If you want to spend some money on a tutorial series (since you have received Elements free) I would suggest the Linda.com video series.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Still I think cs3 is overkill 90% of the time. I think the Op would be set with elements and lightroom.

If your getting Elements 6 and are new to it Scott Kelbys new elements 6 book comes out Jan 2nd and if it's anything like the past ones it will be a great help. I Have Elements 6 and CS3 and I hate to say it but for photos I use elements more.

Still I think cs3 is overkill 90% of the time.
I would agree when you are first starting out. But if a person wants to REALLY dig into "fixing" photos or adjusting them to their likes, I would say its "worth" it in streamlining the process in the long-run. There are cheaper alternatives, but like anything you pay for convenience and skill in design.

Having said that if a person can get it "cheap" - it's worth it. Keep in mind, it is NOT a cpu-friendly program. It smokes on my laptop, but if someone is rocking an older comp that meets the minimum requirements - dont bother. My computer at work can open a portable version of CS3 but boy howdy is it slow.

Is there no version of Element for Macs?

Released next year. Depending on what kind of Mac you have, you can get an old one.

I Have Elements 6 and CS3 and I hate to say it but for photos I use elements more.

Well it is designed mainly for photo work, so that's no suprise - I think in the OP's case, the version she got should do her fine.

You might not know much about Photoshop now, but the first time you picked up a camera did you know what F Stop or Aperture was?
:wink:

Yup, and I was 11 years old.

skieur

Well Im in the CS camp. Granted it is overkill for alot of people but, it depends on where you want to go. There is just so much you can do in CS that it is sick. I have been using PS since 5 so, Im used to it and, Im self taught using the book that came with the program.

I have Photoshop CS2 on a Mac Powerbook G4 that was given to me but I have NO idea how to use it. I know that if I really want to take my photos to the next level I need to learn Photoshop. I'm starting to realize that just about every photo that I see that I really love has probably been Photoshopped in some way (or at least edited somehow) and I can't expect to get those results all the time without some editing.

So, I will check out all the tutorials, but is there a book someone can suggest for Photoshop CS2? There are so many and I don't know which to choose!

THANKS!

Most reactions

Back