Pic taken with 50mm f/1.4

c0ps

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is a shot taken a few nights ago. I been testing out my new lens by taking a lot of night shots. I'm pretty impressed what this lens can do. C&C welcome. Really only posting to brag about the lens. I would of never been able to take this picture hand held with my 18-135 lens.
3466703370_e77f4b074f_b.jpg

F/stop = 1.4
exposure time =1/200
focal length 50mm
aperture priority mode
no flash

I guess the image doesnt do anything for me. There is no clear subject and the fact that the background is blurred bugs me. I would've at least used a smaller aperture to bring more into focus.

Also why wouldn't you be able to take this picture with your 18-135? All you have to do is set your camera to manual, spot meter the sunset, adjust your settings, recompose and shoot.

aw ya I would LOVE this picture if the background was in focus too. would have meant smaller F/stop and longer shutter speed... so the whole picture probably would have been blurry then lol. looks like one amazing sunset too!

I guess the image doesnt do anything for me. There is no clear subject and the fact that the background is blurred bugs me. I would've at least used a smaller aperture to bring more into focus.

Also why wouldn't you be able to take this picture with your 18-135? All you have to do is set your camera to manual, spot meter the sunset, adjust your settings, recompose and shoot.

I tried taking night shots with the 18-135 but the exposure time drops to low and causes blur when hand held. I would have to put it on a tripod. maybe its just me, I'm still a noob.

Well if you have to use a tripod, then you have to use it. I'm still technically a noob too, but what I'm learning is that its the end result that matters. Believe me, if I could avoid using a tripod, I would, but if I need it to get the shot done, dammit I'm going to use one. So don't worry about it. One idea for a shot that you can do is having the subject be something easily recognizable like a person and having them as a silhouette with the sunset in the background.

Beautiful photo! I have a bit of an obsession with the colors in the sky at sunset, so I think it's a VERY interesting subject. You captured the calm of the evening. I love it. But I'm a noob so what do I know?

Thanks for the info. Im going back up to the lake this friday night for smelt fishing. Ill take the camera again and stop by the same spot and hope the sun is bright orange again lol. Ill try with a smaller aperture, wish me luck :thumbup:

Silly criticisms. Try taking a tripod into a restaurant. Or a crowded club. Or concert venue. Or any confined space where you don't have time to be mucking about with ANOTHER contraption. The F/1.4 sucks in all that wonderful light, and is therefore exceptionally powerful for low light shooting, or hand held action stopping power. It's utility is without question.

Well obviously you cant take a tripod in those places. I wasn't saying that...I was simply saying if you could technically use it in a location (such as this one where it wouldn't be in the way or a hindrance) and it would make your shot better, then why wouldn't you?

If I went to this location, I would most certainly set up a tripod if I knew I could get the shot. If I were in a concert or club I would know I can't use a tripod so I'd get some fast glass and crank the ISO up if I needed to get the shot. In this location, he doesn't HAVE to do that, hence...he should use a tripod.

He got the shot though. A tripod isn't going to change this shot. The fore tree is in focus, throwing the background out. Personally, I don't want the background in focus, because it takes away from the solemnity of the fore.

I think if there was a flash lighting up the tree branch in the foreground, the shot would be much better. Because I do like the blurred background, it adds a bit of depth to the whole picture. But the big black thing right in front needs to be brighter than the background trees or shot from a different angle so you can see it better.

I personally think it would have more impact if the background was in focus. Currently this image has the tree in the foreground in focus, but it all looks like a black blob so I find my eyes searching for something else.

He hand held this shot, but in order to get the background in focus he would have to stop down the aperture which wouldn't enable him to hand hold it, hence a tripod would help in this case.

I'm done arguing, it's not worth it. This simply comes down to opinion and ours obviously differ.

Stopping down the aperture wouldn't bring that background that into focus. That background is several YARDS away from the tree. You can argue aesthetics all day long, but the technical limitations are not in question. That is all I'm saying - that if were going to be giving advice, lets make sure it at least makes sense.

So the aperture which controls depth of field won't make that much of a difference? The photo was taken at 1.4, I would like to think that a lot more would be in focus at f/11, f/13 and so on.

Most reactions

Back