Picking out a face in a crowd

reminds me of the pictures coming out of people using high res crowd shots after the boston bombing/conspiracy.

The description even lists that its something like 200+ photos stitched over 15 minutes- which actually makes it sound rather slow for a gigapan type machine. I'd have expected faster, must have been an utter nightmare syncing up the shots to get them to look right.

And er if you don't want anyone to know you're at a protest you er gotta weak a mask - otherwise yeah you'll be spotted (I thought that was the idea of protesting - to be seen to oppose something).

...the camera is not sold to the public but is used by the authorities...

:scratch: This is just another version of Gigapan is it not? To what special camera do you refer?

The gigapan examples were not of people and probably do NOT have the resolution to pick out faces. BIG DIFFERENCE!

reminds me of the pictures coming out of people using high res crowd shots after the boston bombing/conspiracy.

BIG DIFFERENCE is a few pictures of several thousand people that can pick out individuals and with facial recognition software they would be easily recognizable as well as their associates.

And er if you don't want anyone to know you're at a protest you er gotta weak a mask - otherwise yeah you'll be spotted (I thought that was the idea of protesting - to be seen to oppose something).

True, but at the G20 in Toronto, protesters were even arrested for wearing bandanas around their neck.

Thing is I've seen this before - big music events and the like have had them for ages - and I'm sure GIGA Pan is used there too.

Also is it bad that when I zoomed in randomly the first thing I zoomed in on was a photographer!

Still I don't see where the problem is - you're out in public and people see you. The only people who should be worried are those who are there to cause trouble (like rioting or looting)

Gig pan is readily available for anyone who can afford it. It would be a horrible security system as it stitches photos spanning several minutes.

Besides most top end CCTV systems have facial recognition software build in. Places like airports and other transit hubs have cameras that scan each and every face that walks in the door at real time speed. No need for gigapan.

So take off the tinfoil hat and relax.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back