C&C per req:
1. Hmmm, to be honest, I'm see a picture here, but not a photograph. A few things to keep in mind when shooting portraits: (1) There's a reason that the veritcal orientation is referred to as "portrait"; (2) Backgrounds are very important. In this image you have a lot of bright/blown areas as well as a person in the background directly behind the main subject and (3) The subject is rather too centred for my taste. On the plus side, you've made good use of selective focus, and the subject exposure isn't bad. It could use a little levels/curves adjustment, but that's fairly minor. A fairly tight crop on the subject would resolve a lot of the issues with this image.
2. I understand what your intention was here (I think) but IMO it doesn't really work. again, the background is distracting, and while the subject is obvious, it doesn't really have any appeal.
I think you've got some good ideas, you just need more practice at executing them. One of the hardest lessons to learn in photography is that we can't always capture the image on film that we have seen in our mind. Keep at it!
Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.
~John