Pictures for C&C

mzcloud

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last time I posted a picture of a snapshot and was told that it does not have much artistic value. Thought I'll try 2 more to see what you guys think.

Thanks

L1010992.jpg

L1010949.jpg

C&C per req:

1. Hmmm, to be honest, I'm see a picture here, but not a photograph. A few things to keep in mind when shooting portraits: (1) There's a reason that the veritcal orientation is referred to as "portrait"; (2) Backgrounds are very important. In this image you have a lot of bright/blown areas as well as a person in the background directly behind the main subject and (3) The subject is rather too centred for my taste. On the plus side, you've made good use of selective focus, and the subject exposure isn't bad. It could use a little levels/curves adjustment, but that's fairly minor. A fairly tight crop on the subject would resolve a lot of the issues with this image.

2. I understand what your intention was here (I think) but IMO it doesn't really work. again, the background is distracting, and while the subject is obvious, it doesn't really have any appeal.

I think you've got some good ideas, you just need more practice at executing them. One of the hardest lessons to learn in photography is that we can't always capture the image on film that we have seen in our mind. Keep at it!

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

C&C per req:

1. Hmmm, to be honest, I'm see a picture here, but not a photograph. A few things to keep in mind when shooting portraits: (1) There's a reason that the veritcal orientation is referred to as "portrait"; (2) Backgrounds are very important. In this image you have a lot of bright/blown areas as well as a person in the background directly behind the main subject and (3) The subject is rather too centred for my taste. On the plus side, you've made good use of selective focus, and the subject exposure isn't bad. It could use a little levels/curves adjustment, but that's fairly minor. A fairly tight crop on the subject would resolve a lot of the issues with this image.

2. I understand what your intention was here (I think) but IMO it doesn't really work. again, the background is distracting, and while the subject is obvious, it doesn't really have any appeal.

I think you've got some good ideas, you just need more practice at executing them. One of the hardest lessons to learn in photography is that we can't always capture the image on film that we have seen in our mind. Keep at it!

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

thanks for your comments. guess this would be a better background.
may.jpg

i guess better than first one...but still the bush in the background is distracting IMO..again crop it out and see if it makes it better....
BTW where is this in toronto .... U of T??? tim hortons is very memorable to me...:lol:

i guess better than first one...but still the bush in the background is distracting IMO..again crop it out and see if it makes it better....
BTW where is this in toronto .... U of T??? tim hortons is very memorable to me...:lol:

Good guess. It is university of Waterloo. 1 hour away from Toronto

oh...sweet it's such a scenic place i mean whole of ontario...i used to go to york university....don't know if u know it..but i loved toronto...awesome place
anyways good luck with your photography ....keep shooting...:D

oh...sweet it's such a scenic place i mean whole of ontario...i used to go to york university....don't know if u know it..but i loved toronto...awesome place
anyways good luck with your photography ....keep shooting...:D

Thanks for your comments Rudha, I do know York, have friends that attend the Schulick school of business there. Good luck to you. Cheers

To me it looks like you are snapping at the first thing you see, try going out without your camera you need to look at things differently

1. I don't understand how to take a good picture of a human being, so I won't comment, although I like the picture of the girl...

2. when you're taking a picture of an object, you should always strive to take it from an angle that is not what you see as you're walking by. There is a reason you always see photographers laying on the dirty ground or all contorted to make a shot. it makes it more interesting! Hope this helps.

Most reactions

Back