Pictures from California

AugustMyhrman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just got back from California and thought I'd share some of my shots. Anything good? What's bad and can be improved?

Shot on Canon 600D w/ 18-55 IS

Attachments

• $Sunset Beach Houses low res.jpg
    $Sunset Beach Houses low res.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 97
  • $Chinatown low res_00000.jpg
    $Chinatown low res_00000.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 98
Welcome! Only three shots?

I like #3.

If you are looking for a complete critique, we need a little more to go on. Please post one photograph, and ask all the questions you have about it.

I'm a fan of the third, mostly because I love the colors.

First:
It appears under-exposed, noisy, blurry, and the sky is really lacking in intensity. As it is, I see it as a snapshot, and nothing more.

Second:
I love the colors in this photo. The two big issues I see right at first are the blown-out sky and the truck in the way of the buildings. I almost wish you had tonemapped this image, and brought back some definition in the sky.

Third:
I like it. You might have improved this by shooting from a lower angle, and you would have silhouetted the building and person against the sky, rather than the sky AND the water.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Jake

Thank you for your comment, and yes, this certainly helped :)
I shot all of these photos on "the go" and unfortunately didn't have time to set up a tripod, hence the blurriness in #1. When you say that the sky is lacking in intensity, what do you mean? Do I need to make it more colorful?

#2: Unfortunately the truck got in frame just before I shot it. I focused on the buildings as I was on the move, and didn't notice until later.. And what is tonemapping?

These shots were all taken within a week of purchasing my first camera, so thanks for the critique!

Thank you for your comment, and yes, this certainly helped :)
I shot all of these photos on "the go" and unfortunately didn't have time to set up a tripod, hence the blurriness in #1. When you say that the sky is lacking in intensity, what do you mean? Do I need to make it more colorful?

#2: Unfortunately the truck got in frame just before I shot it. I focused on the buildings as I was on the move, and didn't notice until later.. And what is tonemapping?

These shots were all taken within a week of purchasing my first camera, so thanks for the critique!

By intense I mean it lacks significant contrast and deep color. The typical "WHOAH!" factor. And tone mapping is when you take an image, make a copy, and change the exposure of one (i.e. darken it to bring back sky detail), and then merge them in photoshop, photomatix, or another program. If you just got your camera, I suggest not getting into that quite yet.

Best,
Jake

Most reactions

Back