Pin up beach shoot help

MrsMoo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am taking photos of a woman who likes to wear pin up styled clothes, and she's asked me to take photos of her on a beach. Considering I live in Scotland, I doubt the weather will even be remotely nice!

Anyone got any tips on how I can make the photoshoot comfortable for her (and me!) and will there be any way PP I can make the weather look nicer? :lol:

EDIT: I'll be using my D60

As long as it is not raining... bad weather is always better than sunny with harsh sun! You can get hair movement too if it is windy a little ;)

I'd say take a wind break, some fluffy towels and plenty of hot coffee! ;)

an umbrella can also be an effective tool. a couple of those huge beach umbrellas taller than a person could protect you and her and if positioned right not get in the shot or they could add to the shot.

you could put up one of those 10x10 popup tents, put her at the edge and shoot tight through the tent. it serves as a natural diffuser too if it's crazy bright

have a vehicle as close as possible to serve as a warming/drying spot with towels as mentioned.

It should be perfect is the weather is not so good, you will get some very moody shots, expose for the sky and use some fill flash, I rode over the top to Applecross on my motorbike last summer in 100mph winds it was perfect

Since the beach looks to face south east you would want to shoot in the morning. I would plan on starting to shoot at 5:30 am.

It will be brisk that time of day and morning showers are a distinct possibility from looking at the forecast the next few days. The wind speed should also be lower in the morning

You don't mention lenses, reflectors, lighting, just the D60.

Why not just buy/rent a small tent? Set it up on the beach incase it does start to rain

You can make a grayish-white sky look BLUE by setting the camera white balance to Tungsten, then fitting a full orange CTO filter to the front of an electronic flash, and then lighting the subject with the orange-filtered light from the flash unit.

This is a pretty well-known way to turn a dreary,gray day into a "blue sky day". Nikon makes slip-in filters for their speedlights, for this type of use.

You don't mention lenses, reflectors, lighting, just the D60.

I only have a D60, with the lens it came with. I cant afford to spend any money on other lenses/flashes/wind breakers till I get a job :(

Thanks for the tips guys :)

I'd say take a wind break, some fluffy towels and plenty of hot coffee! ;)
I might just do that! :thumbup:

Why not just buy/rent a small tent? Set it up on the beach incase it does start to rain
I think we have a tent anyway, and that is a good idea! I'm not sure which beach we're working on yet, but it would be good to have just in case!

Last edited:
Results: They're probs better in a new thread tbh :L

Not as "pin-up" as I'd have liked to be honest! But I think it was ok, lovely girl :)

EditOne.jpg

Saturated the BG in this one, but not in the others :)

EditThree.jpg

EditTwo.jpg

are these sooc?
i think they need some processing to bring out some contrast and depth.
seem they are all a bit flat. focus also looks a bit soft.
did you do the orange filter trick on #1?...i think theres some orange debris cam left of her face in #1.

crop some sky out in #2, straighten the horizon in #3, and i think youve got 2 nice shots. :D (too bad about the flower getting clipped in #3)

Most reactions

Back