Pinhole cameras - who's made one?

Thanks for the suggestions. This idea is on hold for the moment. I cut a block of nice scrap timber to use (it'll be too small for medium format, but I can just change the styling a bit to make it work), but it may be a little while before I get time and some dry weather to do any woodwork.

Ps love that year long exposure image - very cool.

I was given a fungus laden F mount lens. Took the mount off and fabricated a pinhole attachment. I can use it on any of my f-mount Nikons including digital.

I was given a fungus laden F mount lens. Took the mount off and fabricated a pinhole attachment. I can use it on any of my f-mount Nikons including digital.

Body caps can do the same thing.

I took the lens off my SLR and made a cardboard barrel so the focal length was about 65 mm. A hole in the lens cap would have been easier.

The problem with the 35 mm format is image size. You will be hard put to make a pinhole less that .35 mm so the f value will be about f 200.
Buy the time you enlarge to a usable image the fuzziness that some like to call soft focus is too fuzzy for my taste.

You can of course order a laser cut pinhole about as small as you want but I would suggest using a 120 format if you are building a camera. I have a 4x5 view camera that I am tinkering with but the shutter mechanism is my main concern.

This is about as good a shot as I could get with 35 mm format and a .356 mm pinhole.View attachment 166583

Why even bother with pinhole photography if you're worried that much about sharpness?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back