Playing filters

retrofred

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Playing with the different aperture filters on my camera, and this one is neat. Monochromes the background.
IMG_20190712_183253.jpg

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Yes, cool look. I like the selective color filters - but some people seem to feel it's something we shouldn't do. I get a bit of negative feedback if I ever post any selective color images, so it's become something I only do in private. :)

Here's one I did last year ....

2018_1129_23120000_20181130055611897_20190713092515393.jpg

..... but some people seem to feel it's something we shouldn't do.

Frank, you have recognized a social phenomena that is "learned behavior" in western culture. Now I must mention upfront that I will probably get a lot of bad mouthing & "mental smirks" from what I am about to say.

It is really a shame, since the advent of the internet, that people's "personal opinions" travel virally, having an unconscious influence on others, then morph into a "trend" in which thousands of other people then develope into a "morm". In the psychiatric world this is known as "progressive programing". And the "mainstream media" in western culture uses such tools as a way of "social engineering" the masses at large. The reasons vary but the outcome is obvious. Overall, people of all ages, races, and ethnic background no long are capable of "cognitive reasoning", or the ability to "think for thenselves". We are told through our radios, televisions, magazines, smart phones and other media sources what to eat & drink (diet fads), how to dress (popular styles) how to comunitcate (political correctness), how to - anything. Just look it up on the internet and find out what other people are "thinking". Progressive programing is a little more complicated than this but you get the idea - how one person's opinion or a small group of nefarious people can "mold" whole communities, nations, cultures, etc. To go against "created trends" is to commit "social treason". Everyday, "free thinkers" are ridiculed, reviled, socially outcast, even physically assulted and mentally persecuted (thrown into psych wards), forcing some to become withdrawn and recluse - wow, sounds like me, but I'm digressing.

@retrofred, as far as the "style" of photography you are experimenting with - I like it and I liked your image. "In my humble opinion" I believe using selective color filters has a definite place in the world of photography. Somewhere, someplace, some other era, somebody discovered how to do this.

That's my rant for the month!

Yes, cool look. I like the selective color filters - but some people seem to feel it's something we shouldn't do.

Some of it I would agree is the cause of the above post by @Flying Panda but for myself I find too many people use selective colour, dutch angle or whatever "interest" trick on photos that are really bland and not very good at all.

IN MY OPINION, if the only thing that I notice about an image is the technique used then the image should have been culled to begin with.

IN MY OPINION, if the only thing that I notice about an image is the technique used then the image should have been culled to begin with.

I know what you are saying. Objectivity is not synonymous with conformity. Technique is what sets photographers apart from other forms of art. But there is a definite limit to technique when it comes to photography. HDR, B&W, bokeh, focus stacking, soft focus, etc. are all respected techniques and enjoyed viewing in the world of photography but these and other techniques have limits before they fall into a whole other category of art. As an example, and this is a thorn in my side, I have seen entries into "Photography Contest" that may have started out as a "photograph" but were so heavily modified by graphics software that they can no longer be classified as "photography" but can only be considered another form of art. To me, photography is capturing an image that appears in "real life" as it would by my mind's eye and then freezing that image with a camera. Proper technigue can be used to help enhance the image to show what the photographer's "mind's eye" saw but I have yet to see in the natural world some of the "images" produced by some that passes as "photography", unless of course the photographer was on some psychotropic drugs.

Yup agree that some images are modified way beyond my preference, but it's not my image.

I try to see past any of the obvious in your face tricks that try and make an image interesting and try to look at the image itself and judge if I think it's good. Now again what I think makes a good image is different to the next person. I just think great tricks on a poor image still makes for a poor image.

Now as too when an images becomes something different? I don't really care much as I tend not to gravitate to images that are modified beyond recognition.

Oh and on the point of people not liking what you shoot (in this case the perception of (and it is warranted, I've commented on a couple) selective colour being looked down upon), Shoot what you like. Post it, but do know some people will crap on the best image. It's just in their nature. Others just can't explain why they don't like something. If I post a less than good comment, I usually try and explain why I think it could be improved, and if I don't...call me out on it. I will explain what I think may make something work better....although i could be full of it.

Frank, you have recognized a social phenomena that is "learned behavior" in western culture. Now I must mention upfront that I will probably get a lot of bad mouthing & "mental smirks" from what I am about to say.

It is really a shame, since the advent of the internet, that people's "personal opinions" travel virally, having an unconscious influence on others, then morph into a "trend" in which thousands of other people then develope into a "morm". In the psychiatric world this is known as "progressive programing". And the "mainstream media" in western culture uses such tools as a way of "social engineering" the masses at large. The reasons vary but the outcome is obvious. Overall, people of all ages, races, and ethnic background no long are capable of "cognitive reasoning", or the ability to "think for thenselves". We are told through our radios, televisions, magazines, smart phones and other media sources what to eat & drink (diet fads), how to dress (popular styles) how to comunitcate (political correctness), how to - anything. Just look it up on the internet and find out what other people are "thinking". Progressive programing is a little more complicated than this but you get the idea - how one person's opinion or a small group of nefarious people can "mold" whole communities, nations, cultures, etc. To go against "created trends" is to commit "social treason". Everyday, "free thinkers" are ridiculed, reviled, socially outcast, even physically assulted and mentally persecuted (thrown into psych wards), forcing some to become withdrawn and recluse - wow, sounds like me, but I'm digressing.

@retrofred, as far as the "style" of photography you are experimenting with - I like it and I liked your image. "In my humble opinion" I believe using selective color filters has a definite place in the world of photography. Somewhere, someplace, some other era, somebody discovered how to do this.

Thanks for the feed back and I agree with you on most of what you said. The whole point of photography is to share and express what the photographer is trying envision and then share with the masses. Now whether or not people like a said picture is there right. I believe that our society has become to dependant on what others tell you like. I'm glad I came across this forum.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

I like the pics but in all honesty I sometimes feel there should be separate categories for contests, one category with awards for untouched pics that look great because of someone's photography skills and another for someone's editing skills. It's pretty much self explanatory. Looking at pics here I often find myself saying, "great pic" when what I really want to say is nice edit but because editing skills have slowly been accepted as a part of photography I feel I will eventually become that ostracized black sheep if I dare say such a thing and ruffle a few societal feathers.

I see the trend of how the mainstream media spews it's biased, half truths and how the SJW's that watch it feel justified in dawning their caped crusader costumes and spewing the same rhetoric all over the net. Real shame what's going on for the sake of that unobtainable Utopia.

I would liken selective color to ketchup on eggs-- some people like it, while others are repulsed by it. It is interesting to stand back and observe the debate. The common collective wisdom is that selective color is "bad",
But I think we should ask ourselves why? Is it intrinsically bad? Is it being used to rescue a bad photo? Is the processing the most important thing about the photo? Does the photo I have something to communicate no matter how the processing was done?

Another example of "progressive programing" in photography is that flowing water must be made to look like molten plastic.
I recently saw a post where the OP apologized for the water looking real because he did not have a ND filter.
Why has realistic flowing water become taboo - "progressive programing".

Most people who have been around photography for more than a few years like a lot less cotton candy look to the water than do newcomers. With affordable made in China 10-stop neutral density filters flooding the equipment market over the past decade we are starting to see lots of really long exposures, Both of water, and of regular landscapes. This has become quite a marked trend,and lots of people have started to do their landscapes with long exposures, which gives a strange look to the clouds compared with instantaneous exposures.

Those who are fond of this look often defend it very vociferously, and love to shoot a lot of pictures this way. In fact, we have a couple members here who really like exposure times that give a lot of movement to water,and to clouds.

Why has realistic flowing water become taboo .......

Good question - which could be applied to any other technique. And here is my question in relation to the "original statement" made concerning the social engineering taking place in today's society. Why is it that someone's "personal opinion" takes precedence over someone else's opinion? I respect "everyones" personal opinions about anything. Individualism makes people unique and special. But when an individual with clout, charisma, or social status states that "something" should be "their way", without question, that is when the weak minded people in socity, that cannot think for themselves, just follow along without question. (herd mentality) What happened to "individualism"? Everybody voices their opinions - that is what makes life interesting. And that is OK! But when those same people with "clout, charisma, or social status" start setting the norm for everybody else, because the weak minded in mass "attach" themselves to those they must follow, then we start loosing the "imagination" that has made "photography" such a unique and creative art.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back