Playing with light...

I don't think I quite understand what you mean? I had the shaft of the umbrella (the underside) pointing away from him... isn't that the only way to set up a shoot-through umbrella? I don't disagree that it might have been too far away, but I'm confused with the above part of your statement.
Just because it's a 'shoot through' umbrella, does not mean you can't bounce out of it.
I tend to bounce, rather than shoot though, most of the time.
Either way, the key (for softer light) is to get it as close as possible.

I don't think I quite understand what you mean? I had the shaft of the umbrella (the underside) pointing away from him... isn't that the only way to set up a shoot-through umbrella? I don't disagree that it might have been too far away, but I'm confused with the above part of your statement.
Just because it's a 'shoot through' umbrella, does not mean you can't bounce out of it.

Oh I see what you mean. I knew that, I just didn't realize what he was saying. But yeah, I wasn't bouncing out of it... I was using it as a shoot-through.

And it looks like your model could benefit from a sandwich or two.

(sorry, couldn't resist.:lol: )

lol, and razor for those arms like WHOA! [couldn't resist either]

I dig the shadow though, I like the edge it gives him. Fits his pouty face haha.

I dig the shadow though, I like the edge it gives him. Fits his pouty face haha.

Whoa, whoa whoa... jealous, boys? :sexywink:

His hair (on his head)...yes.
Style...yes (even though I pull it off nicely too)
e.rose as a wife....no (although schwetty would disagree here)
hair on the arms....hell no lol.

:D

1_the_right_to_bear_arms.jpg

See, but he can always wear long-sleeved shirts... :lmao:

No, but really. I would probably overlook the arm hair situation, but that's just me.

Thread's too long to read all. My advice is to reshoot but if he's going to sit like he is there and your camera is the same as it is in this shot, bring the shoot through around to the front more and lower it.

Shoot throughs are like a fuzzy spot light - there is a hot spot in the middle fading light as it goes from the hot spot out to it's edges.

I say to lower it because there just is no light in his eyes, and bring it further around to his front to lessen the shadow camera right. You can feather your shoot through by aiming it to the right a bit after you bring it to his front.

I don't think I quite understand what you mean? I had the shaft of the umbrella (the underside) pointing away from him... isn't that the only way to set up a shoot-through umbrella? :lol: I don't disagree that it might have been too far away, but I'm confused with the above part of your statement.

Now I'm confused too. Just so we're all on the same page, look at the two diagrams below. Ignoring all but the direction of the tip of the umbrella, which setup were you using? A or B

1234346421_SYHqu-XL.jpg

1234346392_SAjnz-XL.jpg

You're right...the "dead eye" (minus catchlight) kind of brings the shot down. Had you moved the umbrella around a slight bit more toward the front, and closer to the camera, the light would not have raked across his forehead,nose,and face so much. The light is coming in too steeply from the left side, so the umbrella's reflection is being blocked, and therefore, there is no catchlight of the umbrella in his eye, as seen from the camera's point of view. When shooting with a speedlight flash and an umbrella, it is impossible to see the shadows and the catchlights until after the image has been captured. Often it takes only a few inches of adjustment to give a totally different lighting effect.

::clears throat, cracks knuckles, begins typing widly::

:lol: He's a MAN'S man. :lmao: He gets sh*t for his hairy arms all the time. I believe during his back and forth Facebook, light-hearted razzing with his brother, his brother made the comment: "Ahh, Keith... The only 27 year old I know with a combover... on his ARMS". :lol: They're mean to each other... in a brotherly kind of way. :lmao:

:lol: :biggrin:

DAMN he got good hair! I wish I could pull that off......

ETA: for the record... he's HAWT! Hairy arms and all!

Haha, well thank you... I think he's pretty damn HAWT too. :biglaugh: I'll let him know you think so :sexywink: :lol:

I don't blame you. I'm a damn handful! :biglaugh:

He IS a big fan of the 2nd amendment. :biglaugh:

[Insert Image]

See, but he can always wear long-sleeved shirts... :lmao:

No, but really. I would probably overlook the arm hair situation, but that's just me.

S'why I married him. :sexywink:

Thread's too long to read all. My advice is to reshoot but if he's going to sit like he is there and your camera is the same as it is in this shot, bring the shoot through around to the front more and lower it.

Shoot throughs are like a fuzzy spot light - there is a hot spot in the middle fading light as it goes from the hot spot out to it's edges.

I say to lower it because there just is no light in his eyes, and bring it further around to his front to lessen the shadow camera right. You can feather your shoot through by aiming it to the right a bit after you bring it to his front.

Gotchya. Thank you for your advice! The only thing is I don't necessarily want to kill the shadow on his *cheek*, just the shadow on his eye... I'm not sure which you're referring to lessening, but I'll have to play around with it.

It's not a shoot I *need* to redo, because it wasn't for anything other than my own learning purposes, but I'll definitely be reshooting just to practice with the light some more. Thanks again for your feed back!

I don't think I quite understand what you mean? I had the shaft of the umbrella (the underside) pointing away from him... isn't that the only way to set up a shoot-through umbrella? :lol: I don't disagree that it might have been too far away, but I'm confused with the above part of your statement.

Now I'm confused too. Just so we're all on the same page, look at the two diagrams below. Ignoring all but the direction of the tip of the umbrella, which setup were you using? A or B

1234346421_SYHqu-XL.jpg

1234346392_SAjnz-XL.jpg

A. :lol:

You're right...the "dead eye" (minus catchlight) kind of brings the shot down. Had you moved the umbrella around a slight bit more toward the front, and closer to the camera, the light would not have raked across his forehead,nose,and face so much. The light is coming in too steeply from the left side, so the umbrella's reflection is being blocked, and therefore, there is no catchlight of the umbrella in his eye, as seen from the camera's point of view. When shooting with a speedlight flash and an umbrella, it is impossible to see the shadows and the catchlights until after the image has been captured. Often it takes only a few inches of adjustment to give a totally different lighting effect.

Thanks for your advice Derrel! :sillysmi:

When did Justin Bieber grow a beard????

Please, first of all, that is *not* the Bieber hair cut. SECOND... he's had that cut (and various versions of it) for the past 6 years of our relationship before anyone even *KNEW* who Beiber was. :greenpbl:

Jesus, you have even a *slight* swoop in your hair and suddenly everything thinks you got the Bieber fever. :lmao: :sexywink:

I got the Bieber fever........he's good with the ladys....lol

Most reactions

Back