What's new

Please be gentle with me....

could you post just two-three photos? you'll get better feedback. When I commented there was only one posted
 
Ok, on the first shot at any rate - Well all in all I like it. I don't do a lot of critique but I'll give it a shot:

On the technical side of things the flower pot itself, looks like it's not quite level though I might be wrong here - so maybe a little rotation. It looks like the focus point was set on the flower pot, so maybe stop down the lens a bit so that you get a little more DOF or maybe make the flowers your focus point. The pot itself really doesn't have that much fine detail so it just seems like the flowers would be a better choice for a point of focus.

Ok, on the artistic side there's a lot of really great colors here but at least for my taste the baclground seems just a little too busy - maybe move the flower pot further away from it and try to get a little more seperation/blur the background a bit more. You can also try shooting with a wider aperture if possible.
 
I agree some of them seem somewhat too vivid/saturated (especially the first one) but you seem to have an eye for this (since you're not new to photography! obviously) as you're seeing interesting close up shots of patterns etc. Maybe some of what seems a bit oversaturated is due to being outdoors and trying out larger apertures for less depth of field?? I'm just thinking having the lens fairly open if it was sunny might have caused a more saturated appearance.

I'm a long time film photographer, what made a lightbulb go on for me when I first got a digital camera was to ignore most of what I read online LOL!, and I started shooting all manual (set it at M and never went back to auto). My starting point is often the same I'd use shooting film, the biggest difference of course is adjusting the ISO. You might have a different a-ha moment than I did but you'll figure it out.

I shoot Raw too not JPEG, although my camera is DNG so it automatically produces both. I don't edit much, but had a heckuva time trying to edit when I first had a digital camera and was shooting JPEGs. I find that getting a proper exposure is key, and good framing and getting in focus etc. just as when shooting film.

I took a class too when I was new to digital so that helped I think. You'll get the hang of it, just a matter of things falling into place and making sense to you with using a different technology.

edit - I see you posted more, and I agree the exposure could make a difference. I can often print what I got in camera with nothing more than opening a photo in Photoshop and looking at it, other times I have to adjust contrast or brightness, that's about it. Maybe you were working on depth of field for your class and would need to think more about how you're adjusting your settings next time.
 
Last edited:
My poor satellite barely-above-56k Internet connection choked else I would have posted a critique here instead of this post.
 
Thank you all for the wonderful tips and advice. I'll take another look at them and try to make some changes, see if that helps. But seriously, I REALLY appreciate the feedback. And next time I'll post fewer pics. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone
 
How are you saving the files in-camera? RAW, JPEG? It may be you just have a setting in there cranking up the saturation for you that you aren't aware of. In any case, these are a heck of a lot better than my first shots.
 
I agree. My first shots were....n't. They resemble photos. These are fantastic compared to what I could do when I picked up a DSLR for the first time.
 
I agree. My first shots were....n't. They resemble photos. These are fantastic compared to what I could do when I picked up a DSLR for the first time.

Lol. Thank you. That really means a lot to me.


I'll take a look at my settings and my camera manual and try to figure out what's going on. If I can't work it out I'll talk to the professor after my next class.

But.....as far as depth of field (which was my priority with these shots for this week's assignment) is that piece ok? Any suggestions from anyone on improving that?

Sent from my iPhone
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom