Please be gentle with me....

Playboy_Mommy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just looking for advice on how to improve my shots, including any Photoshop or editing advice. I've only done VERY basic edits on these - I'm talking a little cropping, and a few tweaks here and there on the exposure - but for the most part these just came straight out of my camera. I'm only in week 2 of my Basic Photography class, and our assignment dealt with depth of field. I was mostly focusing on my technique with these shots, familiarizing myself with my camera, and I just wandered around my yard for about an hour snapping photos, so I wasn't too terribly focused on content and composition, just depth of field, aperture, ISO and shutter speed. So advice and critique welcome, but please be gentle. I'm brand new to this and will be confused and overwhelmed by a bunch of technical terms! ;-) Thanks so much for the feedback!

Shot with Nikon D3200 in Manual Mode.

photostream

Just looking for advice on how to improve my shots, including any Photoshop or editing advice. I've only done VERY basic edits on these - I'm talking a little cropping, and a few tweaks here and there on the exposure - but for the most part these just came straight out of my camera. I'm only in week 2 of my Basic Photography class, and our assignment dealt with depth of field. I was mostly focusing on my technique with these shots, familiarizing myself with my camera, and I just wandered around my yard for about an hour snapping photos, so I wasn't too terribly focused on content and composition, just depth of field, aperture, ISO and shutter speed. So advice and critique welcome, but please be gentle. I'm brand new to this and will be confused and overwhelmed by a bunch of technical terms! ;-) Thanks so much for the feedback!

photostream
I think this was one of the nicest "new member asking for opinion" threads since I got here. I like you!
Nice pict btw ;)

Welcome to the forum !
Edit: too late with my remarks. :lol:

photostream
I think this was one of the nicest "new member asking for opinion" threads since I got here. I like you!
Nice pict btw ;)

LOL thanks! I'm honored!

Welcome,

The first few seem over saturated to me. But, your exposure looks pretty good.

Welcome to the forum !
I gonna be as gentle as I can...
1. You gonna have to improve your posting skills, so we can see your pictures.
2. If you are photo beginner, why are you shooting in manual mode ? Where is the benefit for you ?

Sorry, let me clarify: I've been shooting with an SLR and film for about 15 years, but I've never learned any technical stuff, I've always just kind of gone with my gut. I'm shooting in Manual because: my teacher insists (lol) and because I'm really focusing on learning how to adjust aperture, ISO and shutter speed to compensate for lighting, situations, etc. Would you recommend shooting in Auto instead? What are the benefits for someone like me over shooting in Manual? Thanks so much!

I don't think the overall shooting is bad at all, just a bit over saturated.

OMG. I did the same thing you did when I first got my dslr. One photo with multiple exposures (from your FLickr)

Flickr photos - a few items to think of. Make sure things in the background are flat in the horizon. Such as the flag photos. the background house is tilted badly.

start learning some basic rules .. like the Rule of Thirds.
Rule of Thirds - Digital Photography School

and .. the hard part for me .. was learning what proper exposure was. use your viewfinder light meter a bit more as you progress as a good point to be at.

I don't think the overall shooting is bad at all, just a bit over saturated.

Thanks! So, how do I fix that? Do I make adjustments while shooting, or is that an editing thing?

If you're using Lightroom, just pull back on the greens and yellows. It'd also be better if you allowed members to edit your photos.

If you can get in camera what you are looking for, there is no need for PSing. I think you fulfill the task of working with shallow DoF, you got nice colours (but obviously you had nice, dispersed, not very strong light) and I think composition we may discuss with some other opportunity, when it will be a matter. :D

Most reactions

Back