please critique this photo please

articsilber323

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
oceancity006psLarge.jpg

thanks everyone

The horizon looks like it's off. The photo is well exposed. I think it would help to isolate the background more. The main problem is the subject, I don't get real excited about seeing this pile of metal. Not that a pile of metal can't be interesting, just not this one to me. If I were to try to make this one work for me, I would rotate, blur the background, and see if that helped out.

The out of focus phragmite reeds are distracting to me. Add in the apparant 2 degree clockwise tilt to the horizon line and you have another distraction.

I can understand how you were interested in the forms and colors of the scaffolding ends, but this composition doesn't really 'click'.

Hey there,

I think the wheat/grass/whatever in the background makes the picture too busy. And, the horizon should be horizontal. Otherwise, I do like the perspective. This picture would look nice in a farmhouse or in a nice den with a lot of woodwork.

I rotated it in GIMP about 2.8 degrees counterclockwise. It's not exactly straight, but close.

oceancity006psLarge2.jpg

I really like it. The similiar color of the rust and the grass and the contrasting texture of the two, as well as the simplicity of the shapes really works for me. I agree with OregonAmy about this hanging somewhere like a den or a cabin, in a room with lots of exposed wood. The only thing I might do differently composition-wise would be to fill two thirds of the frame with the metal and only one third with grass. The half-and-half composition looks good, but this seems like one of those simple abstracts where the rule of thirds could just pull it all together.

Love it like it is. Great eye!
Maybe do some burning to make it darker in the sides?

I agree. I like it just like it is. Beautiful colors.

oceancity006psLarge.jpg

thanks everyone

I absolutely love it.
i love the colors.
and the focus on the junk there.
seeing how im only in photo II and dont have much experiance i am yet again amazed at how good these photo's are and how much things u guys can find wrong w/ them.
but atleast it's constructive.
keep up the good work.

Most reactions

Back