Please Help Advice Next Lens For Canon Camera

fst2011

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I first want to say that this forum had lots of great info to share. I spent some time searching this forum for ideas and advice but still am not sure best lens to buy.

I'm a newbie and need some pro advice...please.

I just got a Canon Rebel T3i with the 18-55mm lens, and have the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Telephoto Zoom lens.

My wife grows lots of plants and I also live near NYC. I want to be able to take really close pics of her flowers and insects :D and I also want to take some great shots of nyc buildings and busy streets.

The Problem:

I found this on Amazon and was not sure if this item would work for me " Digital Concepts +1 +2 +4 +10 Close-Up Macro Filter Set with Pouch 55mm "

OR

Should I get a "fish eye" type lens? Or both?

Last question...if you suggest getting the lens, does it have to be by Canon? I thought I read somewhere that some "no name" brands work just as good.

Thanks so much in advance for the time and advice,
Mike S

Your existing EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lenses both have 58mm filter threads. The 55mm kit that you found will not fit. However, even if you get the 58mm version of that kit for $7.11, you may be disappointed in the image quality.

Have you looked at the Kenko extension tube set? You can put extension tubes between your camera body and your 70-300mm lens to allow it to focus more closely. You lose the ability to focus to infinity, but this is a cheaper option than purchasing a dedicated macro lens.

If you will be doing a lot of close-ups you will want to have a tripod.

I'll also 2nd the extension tube option if you don't want to fork out for a macro lens. The macro filter's will give you $7.99 worth of quality.

Well fish eye and macro are two different things. Which did you want? close ups or wide angles?

if it was me, i'd throw down the cash for a wide angle lens. Tamron and Sigma make some alright lenses if you wanted to start off cheap.
The canon lens to get if you want to shoot wide would be a 17-40 f4L it's one of the cheapest L glass to my knowledge since i last checked. i could be wrong.

the reason i am opting for a lens purchase is because there's only so much you can do with those kit lenses. the quality of the type S lenses is also very cheaply made. if you plan to get more serious, then a good investment is more serious glass itself.

good luck!

There are 2 great "macro" lenses by Canon. The 100mm which comes in a very expensive IS version (Image Stabilized) and a non-IS version also the 60mm. Working with tubes or extensions works but you have to get really close to the subject - sometimes blocking valuable light plus I don't believe the quality is as good. The 100mm lets you keep a nice working distance and yet will fill up your view finder. The 60 - just a little closer. My choice is wait till I can afford a 100IS

Most reactions

New Topics

Back