Please help. Hassy vs everybody else

DocFrankenstein

Clinically Insane?
Reaction score
Would you say it's true that hassy is the best optically, so you pay premium for the prestige and some extra for the name.

Thus, it's the best camera by itself... but not the best value for the price?

I want to get a MF system to get a digital back for it eventually. What would you pick in this case?

Also - is hasselblad compatible with the Kiev cameras? The mount is different, but the backs and the prismfinders are the same? yes?

Thanks

IMO, Contax rule the roost for the sharpest primes in 645. Hassy bodies are very well made and are optically superb. My experience of Kiev cameras has been similar to my experience of Russian lifts and trolley buses - hmmm.... bad.

Rob

Hi there, In the studio I use a couple of set ups and they are simply the best Pro camera in my opinion. We have a couple of bodies although im not 100% certain of the models (think one is a M502) Optically they are faultless and the professional ease of workflow from the build quality is first class. Thy have prestige for a reason! Digital back wise I shoot on Phase One H10 nad a light Phase back for other use. The H10 was around £20.000 and is simply the highest quality for pro workflow. True workhorses. Get one and enjoy a new breed of quality!

As a former owner of a Salyut (Kiev 88) and what those of us lovingly refer to as a Haselbladsky, this is what I can tell you about them.
First, the Blads are probably the most superior in overall construction of cameras, and have the best reputation. (You don’t get there any other way.) The lenses and backs of the K88 are only compatible with the early 1600 Blads, but the view finder is fully compatible with the 501s.
If you want to spend the money, go ahead. But if you are like most of us…on a budget, consider this:
Built like a tank, and performs like one, the K88 camera can out perform, out maneuver and just plane out do any Hasselblad when used as an automotive repair tool.
I’d like to see a Blad fix the door on a 68 ‘Cuda…. So there!!!!!
Now. What I am going to say here is going to be a little bit of a let down, but hear me through.
Many Blads that are sold at bargain basement prices have seen better days. They will be as expensive to repair as to replace. You best bet (including going digital) is to either get a Mamiya RZ 67 body and build up a system from there, go with a Contax, or a Bronica. They are on the market for low enough price, and for the amount of just one used 90mm Blad lens, you could get a complete set up of something else for less.
Again, if you want to spend the money, your choice.

DocFrankenstein said:
Would you say it's true that hassy is the best optically

Hasselblad doesn't make their optics, Zeiss does. Zeiss rocks, but they make optics for many other brands besides Hassy.

I love my Hasselblad, but it's not really any better than the Pentax, Fuji, Mamiya, Bronica, etc... medium format gear I've owned and used. The Noritar 80mm that came on my Norita 66 is just as sharp, and a full stop faster, than any of the Zeiss lenses for my Hassy, and I bet few people have ever heard of that brand.

Soocom1 said:

Many Blads that are sold at bargain basement prices have seen better days. They will be as expensive to repair as to replace. You best bet (including going digital) is to either get a Mamiya RZ 67 body and build up a system from there, go with a Contax, or a Bronica.
I want a square. Contax makes 45 and mamiya 67...

Bronica on the other hand is pretty cheap - around 400 with the standard lens for an OK

DocFrankenstein said:
Would you say it's true that hassy is the best optically, so you pay premium for the prestige and some extra for the name.

Thus, it's the best camera by itself... but not the best value for the price?

I want to get a MF system to get a digital back for it eventually. What would you pick in this case?

Also - is hasselblad compatible with the Kiev cameras? The mount is different, but the backs and the prismfinders are the same? yes?

Thanks

Doc,

The Hassy_H1 can shoot both film and digital (with the proper back). Expensive though...

Mitica100 said:
Doc,

The Hassy_H1 can shoot both film and digital (with the proper back). Expensive though...

Most of the Hassy 500 series cameras can take currently available digital backs.

Most reactions

Back