Please help me improve!! C & C please!

linpelk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been eating, sleeping, breathing photography lately. My kids are SO SICK of me taking their pictures. They won't even respond to me anymore if I'm within 5 feet of the camera. I'm afraid one day they will start to run toward the road and when I yell their name, they will not listen. I need to practice on someone else...soon!!!!

Here are a couple from a walk at the Japenese Gardens near our home. Please let me know what you think. I hate to bother other people to photograph their kids if I'm just wasting their time. Thank you for any input.

3596841956_5f215509f2_b.jpg

3596830176_cfc6a77586_b.jpg

3596840950_48ff0ff58c_b.jpg

I'm not technically advanced, but I can say I'd like to be able to get photos like these of my own kids! :)

Nice compositions. #2 looks overexposed. Did you use fill flash on this, or all of these?

I could see these in a portfolio.

Thanks. I didn't use any additional light source for Pic #1, but I had a reflector for pic #2 and #3. I really need to get someone to help me though. It's so hard to take pictures AND hold the reflector AND watch that the 2 year old doesn't fall into the Koi pond!

I'm not on a calibrated monitor at the moment, but I'll do a quick C&C.

On this monitor they all look overexposed. And I think all three images could be warmed up a bit...they look a little on the cool side. And a little more color saturation would be nice.

#1 - This one is just slightly overexposed...you're losing detail in the sleeve of the jacket. I like the composition but would have liked to see the shot taken from a slightly lower POV.

#2 - This one is overexposed...lots of hot spots. I like the composition but maybe place the subject a little more towards the right so that it's not so tight on the backside...or maybe go in tighter to the subject.

#3 - This one is slightly overexposed...detail lost from the jacket. It's a nice shot but could be tightened up on the subject a bit.

Last edited:
I'm not on a calibrated monitor at the moment, but I'll do a quick C&C.

On this monitor they all look overexposed. And I think all three images could be warmed up a bit...they look a little on the cool side. And a little more color saturation would be nice.

#1 - This one is just slightly overexposed...you're losing detail in the sleeve of the jacket. I like the composition but would have liked to see the shot taken from a slightly lower POV.

#2 - This one is overexposed...lots of hot spots. I like the composition but maybe place teh subject a little more towards the right so that it's not so tight on the backside...or maybe go in tighter to the subject.

#3 - This one is slightly overexposed...detail lost from the jacket. It's a nice shot but could be tightened up on the subject a bit.

Thanks. Yeah, I guess I do have some issues with overexposure. I guess that's what I get for taking pictures at high noon. I've been practicing with my flash lately to try to help me in these situations, but didn't use flash for these pics. I'm still so new to flash photography that they often look worse to me than if I had a few hot spots. I wish I could have taken Pic #1 from a lower vantage, but they were leaning over a ledge looking into a pond below so it was my only angle. Your right about pic #2 being a little tight on the left. Boy, I just shot it and a second later she was off that ledge and I lost it. I was just grateful she actually looked at me.

Thanks again for your input. All very valuable.

Linda, try setting your exp. comp. -1 and see what you get from a shoot.
See if that helps. Well, if you are shooting in a Priority mode, and using the cameras meter.

Here's an idea! Make a hat with adjustble arms to hold your reflector(s) :lmao:

Linda, try setting your exp. comp. -1 and see what you get from a shoot.
See if that helps. Well, if you are shooting in a Priority mode, and using the cameras meter.

Here's an idea! Make a hat with adjustble arms to hold your reflector(s) :lmao:

Yep, I shoot in Manual, all the time...I'm a control freak. I know I should let the camera do some of the work sometimes..it's certainly smarter than me. I usually end up purposely shooting at +1/3 or even a little more because I personally don't mind my pictures to be a bit on the bright side. Sometimes I even boost them more in PP because I just prefer them that way. I know that technically, they are considered over exposed, but it's just what appeals to me (not so much the blown out skies, etc, but a few hot spots aren't heartbreaking to me). The constant need for "bright" pictures is what is motivating me to learn how to use my flash better. I want these same results without the hot spots, of course.

I like to know how other people feel about it though and if it doesn't appeal to anyone else, than clearly it is not something I want to do for any future clients (if that day ever comes for me). If I ever find anyone who wants to pay me to take pictures, I would be able to get some child care and shoot in the evenings which would help CONSIDERABLY!! At this point, I only take pictures of my kids and because I try to keep them on a schedule, taking THEIR picture only happens in the WORST lighting hours. Maybe after all of this practice trying to make good pictures in the worst times will make taking pictures in the evening a piece of cake. Kind of like when a baseball player swings those two heavy bats before he hits...makes that ONE bat pretty light!

Maybe it's just wishful thinking ;)

I like the hat idea..you might be on to something. :lol:

Thanks. Yeah, I guess I do have some issues with overexposure. I guess that's what I get for taking pictures at high noon.
I live in Hawaii and sometimes I shoot during the "wrong" hours of the day when taking pictures of the dogs (who have brown and white fur). I tend to underexpose my shots slightly and then use ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) to help recover anything that is close to getting blown out. When I'm in Photoshop Elements I tend to darker rather than lighter because I don't want to blow out the lighter areas when I work on the contrast.
I've been practicing with my flash lately to try to help me in these situations, but didn't use flash for these pics. I'm still so new to flash photography that they often look worse to me than if I had a few hot spots.
Don't know if you've seen it yet, but this web site has helped me a lot with on-camera flash. It really helped me understand the relationship between flash, ambient light, aperture and shutter speed much better. I recommend this web site to anyone new to flash photography.
I wish I could have taken Pic #1 from a lower vantage, but they were leaning over a ledge looking into a pond below so it was my only angle.
It's still a very nice shot...you did your best considering the situation.
Your right about pic #2 being a little tight on the left. Boy, I just shot it and a second later she was off that ledge and I lost it. I was just grateful she actually looked at me..
And I'm glad you captured the moment...her expression is great!

Nice shots..

I might clone out the blemish on the cheek in the first photo......

I'm not sure if I like the perspective in the second one...... it is interesting; good shot.. I might straighten out the bridge and let the child look more naturally positioned on it and see if it does anything..

Thanks. Yeah, I guess I do have some issues with overexposure. I guess that's what I get for taking pictures at high noon.
I live in Hawaii and sometimes I shoot during the "wrong" hours of the day when taking pictures of the dogs (who have brown and white fur). I tend to underexpose my shots slightly and then use ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) to help recover anything that is close to getting blown out. When I'm in Photoshop Elements I tend to darker rather than lighter because I don't want to blow out the lighter areas when I work on the contrast.
I've been practicing with my flash lately to try to help me in these situations, but didn't use flash for these pics. I'm still so new to flash photography that they often look worse to me than if I had a few hot spots.
Don't know if you've seen it yet, but this web site has helped me a lot with on-camera flash. It really helped me understand the relationship between flash, ambient light, aperture and shutter speed much better. I recommend this web site to anyone new to flash photography.
I wish I could have taken Pic #1 from a lower vantage, but they were leaning over a ledge looking into a pond below so it was my only angle.
It's still a very nice shot...you did your best considering the situation.
Your right about pic #2 being a little tight on the left. Boy, I just shot it and a second later she was off that ledge and I lost it. I was just grateful she actually looked at me..
And I'm glad you captured the moment...her expression is great!

Thanks Samanax. I have read through Neil van Niekerk's website. It has been INCREDIBLY helpful. Of course, most of it is WAY beyond me, but it is good. I even have it bookmarked and I revisit it often. Each time, I get a little more out of it. I've considered going to one of his workshops. I missed the California dates, but have thought about flying out to CO to visit the in-laws and catch him there in August (I think it was Aug). I had asked about it here once to see if anyone had ever been to one, but I didn't get any response. I emailed Mr. van Niekerk to see if he will come back to CA and he said probably next March so I might wait and see if anyone can tell me more about it and just go then.

Anyway, thanks again for all of your help!

Nice shots..

I might clone out the blemish on the cheek in the first photo......

I'm not sure if I like the perspective in the second one...... it is interesting; good shot.. I might straighten out the bridge and let the child look more naturally positioned on it and see if it does anything..

Thanks LarryD. I actually took about 100 pictures that day and liked quite a few. I went through most of them and took out that scratch on her face, but somehow BOTH of these slipped by.

For Pic #2, I actually turned the camera on purpose. I shot the picture straight the first time, but her little sister was in the background and I knew I only had a second so I stepped in, turned the camera slightly and shot before she ran off. I like that I was able to capture her legs in the second shot. I think that little detail is what makes this picture work. Here is the first shot I took:

3596021119_8d5611eafc_b.jpg

Thanks again for your input

I prefer the angle in the original post much more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back