Please Help with Lighting!

devjayy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,
Im fairly new to the whole photography business and I have never done any in studio shots. I plan to do some little xmas mini sessions and plan on doing them 'in studio.' I have already received my christmas backdrop and wanted to purchase a lighting kit with at least a black/white background. Can someone with experience tell me which one of the following would be a better choice and what the difference is in all the different types, like the two black umbrellas, one black-one white, or two white.. and will these kits make for a proper studio look (no shadows) I plan to upgrade as I learn more but wanted to start out with something reasonably priced. Thank you so much!
Devan

32" Umbrellas 9' Backdrops Daylight Photo Studio Lighting Kit - TheLAShop

32" Umbrellas Backdrops Flash Photo Studio Lighting Kit - TheLAShop

I am open to other options as well just trying to get an idea asap.

Thanks!

First, a 'proper studio look' absolutely includes shadows.

Neither kit is worth the money IMO. The light stands and umbrellas look like junk, and they don't say how high the light stands go.

The first kit is constant lights which for technical reasons are not really suitable for photographing people. They say those lights put out an equivalent of 400 watts. If you use a shutter speed of 1/100, those lights deliver only 4 watts of light during the exposure exposure. Night lights for the hall are usually 10 watt lights.

The second kit has strobe lights, but doesn't even say how powerful the lights are. Strobe light power is usually stated in watt seconds and all the light is usually delivered in 1/500 of a second or less.

In short, they purposely leave out a lot of information someone needs to make an informed buying decision.

For a starter kit I have often recommended - Calumet Genesis 200 2-Light Kit
That kit often goes on sale.
Better still is the more powerful - Calumet Genesis 400 2-Light Kit
These Genesis monolights use Elinchrom speedrings to mount softboxes.

This would be the minimum 2 light kit I would recommend - Flashpoint 320M Portrait Wedding Monolight Kit, with Two 320 Monolights,9.5' Stands,Umbrellas, Snoot and Carrying Case
Flashpoint is Adorama's house brand, and Adorama carries a variety of speedrings for them.
Adorama is one of the most respected photography gear sellers in the US.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
"I plan to do some little xmas mini sessions and plan on doing them 'in studio.' "

How do you mean 'little Xmas sessions? For friends and family or for a little extra cash?

adding to what Keith said up there. The lights in the strobe kit are the slave bulbs you can pick up for about $15. They have a GN of 29. Less than any cheap YN speedlite on the market and not enough to really do a family shoot with.
At the same price point I'd rather see you buy these (and I NEVER recommend these) Flashpoint FPBK1 Budget Studio Monolight Flash Kit 160 FPBK1
They'll be better than that crap you're looking at. They are still pretty much disposable-when they're done they're done, but it's better than the stuff you were looking at.

I'd REALLY rather see you buy one GOOD light kit and then use a reflector with it. Excellent one light setup in the budget category Flashpoint II FP320SB2 Monolight Kit, 150 Watt Second FP320SB2

Most reactions

Back