Please help with this photo!

souljourney

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The is X-posted in the wedding/portrait forum...hoping you all can help me out a bit! I am just learning digital editing and I really want to do two things to this photo: lighten up around the mama's eyes (obviously!) and pull the colors in the rainbow in the top left corner. We were having difficulties with the weather (on and off downpours) so I was doing the best I could! I should have used a fill flash and a polarizer on this shot but I didn't. Any help is appreciated! If you edit, please, please let me know how you did it! I have CS2 at home. TIA!

DSC_0150.jpg

At this size, it is a tough job. I tried (but my PS-version is antediluvian, so you might not even recognise my steps, mine's the 6.0-version :shock: !!!), and I will show you the steps I took but the outcome (this size) is very pixellated, so no good:

Step 1 (lasso tool feathered at 30px)
souljourney_DSC_0150_step1.jpg

Step 2 (lasso tool feathered at 10px)
souljourney_DSC_0150_step2.jpg

Step 3 (the eyes, almost only "black holes" in this size) - lasso tool feathered at 3px
souljourney_DSC_0150_step3.jpg

This is how it came out (after some play with the lasso-ed rainbow and my attempt to selectively increase saturation of its individual colours)

souljourney_DSC_0150_myedit.jpg

Not sure if you can be happy with this one. At 800x533px there is not much more I can do.

Thanks for your help, especially the step by step, La Foto! I have a larger size file of this photo so I'll give it a go and repost it when I have a moment and am not trying to go to beeeedddddd! (was up until 2am last night playing on CS2 :confused:)

You know I never noticed the rainbow in this shot the first time I saw it. Yes, if you can edit this shot you have a real winner!

Thanks, OldNavy!

My question is this: I used the magic wand to grab the sky...the adjusting I did last night would have worked perfectly to bring out the rainbow but two things happened: 1) the magic wand kept wanting to grab part of the dad's blue shirt. How do I adjust the selected area so that it doesn't grab the shirt? 2)When I'm done adjusting, there is still this dark line at the edge of the sky, how do I get rid of this? I wish I would have saved the pic...I will try again tonight.

Most reactions

Back