Please recommend a digital camera for photographing jewellery for ecommerce site

ddyson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I joined this forum to ask this question, seemed like a better idea than relying on paid-off recommendation sites. Hope you can help :)

You just need a DSLR with a MACRO lens, a tripod, and more than likely a light table. A 60mm macro will probably be fine for what you want to do. Any DSLR will do so just get yourself a used body like a Canon 50D or Nikon D90 (even their lower end bodies will be fine). Photographing jewelry that is well done and suitable for e-commerce is actually quite difficult. Just the nature of the metals and diamonds, etc. can make it difficult to light properly.

Yeah, if you have enough the right light and a tripod even the old Rebel XT (which you can get for dirt cheap) will do. Since it's for web, you don't need to shoot RAW. And since it's for web, you don't need an ultra high resolution camera. As long as you have a tripod, set your ISO 100 so you don't get any noise, and take your time to set it up, focus correctly, set your exposure correctly and you should have beautiful shots for not much money at all. The only thing fancy you might need is a polarizing filter to cut down on glare which I can see having with all those reflective metals.

Hold on partners.
If this is for high-volume and small pictures (meaning less requirement for high detail and image quality, the OP might/could get by with P&S with macro capability.

Perhaps the OP could point us to an illustration the size and quality he would need to do.

Hold on partners.
If this is for high-volume and small pictures (meaning less requirement for high detail and image quality, the OP might/could get by with P&S with macro capability.

Perhaps the OP could point us to an illustration the size and quality he would need to do.

^^ That. I suspect a nice P&S or even a bridge with good macro capability and a light tent would do just fine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back