Pocket Wizards... Help?

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Been trying to research pocket wizards lately, and one question keeps coming to mind: Can you control flash power from the transceiver on the camera? For example, i can not find anywhere that the pocket wizard multimax transceiver actually can control and change flash power levels. I mean, i love my su800, but that is only good for indoors and close line-of-sight shoots. Sometimes, i really want to use a pw setup, but are they really worth the money (other than the fact that they use rf signals, which is good for a non line-of-sight setup).

Thanks!
Jake

My only advice/comment is this: There's a reason Joe McNally (Mr. TTL) still uses the PW Plus II's or the CLS system from Nikon and NOT the TT1 & TT5's or Multi-max's. On The Flash Bus tour, Joe McNally & David Hobby were SPONSORED by Pocket Wizard, but Joe still used the built-in Nikon CLS system, not the multi-max's or the new TT1/TT5's. They don't work consistently, per their own admission after the seminar. Don't get me wrong, they work...I've seen them work, but consistency is the key word.

Been trying to research pocket wizards lately, and one question keeps coming to mind: Can you control flash power from the transceiver on the camera? For example, i can not find anywhere that the pocket wizard multimax transceiver actually can control and change flash power levels. I mean, i love my su800, but that is only good for indoors and close line-of-sight shoots. Sometimes, i really want to use a pw setup, but are they really worth the money (other than the fact that they use rf signals, which is good for a non line-of-sight setup).Thanks!Jake
No. Not with the Multimax.

Even thought the Multi-max has plenty of features, it still only fires the flash. It does not relay metering info back and forth between camera and flash (like the TTL CLS system).

So yes, the main (only) reason that photographers use PWs like the Plus II, is because it's a reliable system for triggering the flash.

And something that people don't realize, until they have some experience, is that while it may be harder to figure out the exposure with manual flash, it's actually nice to use because it's consistent. In other words, with a TTL system, your exposure is reliant on what the camera/flash is metering...and as such, it may change from shot to shot. But with manual flash, the flash power stays the same unless you change it. This allows you to fine tune your exposure much easier IMO.

The AC3 ZoneController for Canon and Nikon is the gem of the ControlTL® product line. Add it to your on-camera MiniTT1® Transmitter or FlexTT5® Transceiver and you instantly have three zones of flash control. Whether working in E-TTL II, CLS/i-TTL or Manual mode, you now have control over all your flashes directly from the camera’s position. Put your flashes wherever you want, without worrying about having to access them during a shoot. With the AC3 ZoneController, you are in total control of your flash.

This is what is on the PW website found here.

Hope this helps...

Even thought the Multi-max has plenty of features, it still only fires the flash. It does not relay metering info back and forth between camera and flash (like the TTL CLS system).

So yes, the main (only) reason that photographers use PWs like the Plus II, is because it's a reliable system for triggering the flash.

And something that people don't realize, until they have some experience, is that while it may be harder to figure out the exposure with manual flash, it's actually nice to use because it's consistent. In other words, with a TTL system, your exposure is reliant on what the camera/flash is metering...and as such, it may change from shot to shot. But with manual flash, the flash power stays the same unless you change it. This allows you to fine tune your exposure much easier IMO.

Most definitely correct, Im learning my 580 in manual mode front to back, but E-TTL is still a valuable tool, in certain situations such as working in small areas where the flashes needs to be real close to the subject.
While in E-TTL mode I urge you to use a combination of FEC and EC to get your best possible results, zoom range can also "make" a picture in the right scenarios.

About the pocket wizards, I use the new Mini/Flex system as someone mentioned above and mine haven't failed yet, but im only maybe 300-500 shots in so far, i just ordered another speedlight/flex to add to my 580 so i will keep everyone updated with that.

However, with my SU800 and SB600's, i am always using manual, so i can control the highlights and light intensity all on camera, without having to move to each flash individually, which i must say is a GREAT feature. I never use TTL really, because it IS inconsistent. Thank you for your input!

Regards,
Jake

Most reactions

Back