Point and Shoots cameras...

accphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to buy a PaS camera to keep with me all the time. I have two SLRs that I love, but reality dictates that I can't carry them at all times. I see things throughout the day I'd love to photograph, but I never have my SLRs at those times of course. In MOST cases I whip out my camera phone for these times, however my camera phone SUCKS. So, I'm looking for a small PaS that has excellent quality, hopefully some color and hopefully on a budget.

On that note, what are the best PaS cameras available that are still portable and fun?

Thanks!!

ACC

Last edited:
To compliment a photographer who is used to shooting with SLRs, I'd recommend looking at the high end P&S. How's your budget because some of them can get a bit pricey?

* Panasonic LX3 (my choice)
* Canon S90 (new arrival into this market and looks good so far)
* Canon G10/G11 (latest versions of the G-series that have always been a good bet)

Budget is not good. LOL! I'm really not set on major quality as I'm used to just using my camera phone for these types of shots, and it's HIDEOUS. I don't expect anywhere near the quality of my SLRs. I'm mostly considering quality in my criteria so I can get the best bang for the buck.

I was looking at the Canon Powershot A1100. It's about $150 and that's around the price I'd like to stay at. However I would consider going up to $300 for an EXCEPTIONAL camera, but I really do think all the extras might be a waste for these purposes. I'd like to know how that camera stacks up against others in it's range, etc.

That new Canon S90 offers f2.0 at it's widest end, something to consider for low light.

Guys, i am looking for the same thing, also because i get tired of shooting concerts and security telling me that after the first 3 songs its over because i have a DSLR (assuming i am press) whereas everyone with their point and shoot can go on..

If you shoot concerts (or go to them) often, they make a digital camera that looks like a pair of binoculars.

I saw a pair of them at a pawnshop a couple of weeks ago, the digital camera part was 5mp. Most people could not tell that they were not just binoculars, any those are common at concerts.

Get close to the stage, and blend into the crowd.

Maybe not a DSLR, but surely better than a cellphone or a P&S.

Last edited:
Btw: is it me or is the Canon G 11 a step back compared to the G 10??

Ok... opinions of the Canon PowerShot SD1200IS as compared to the Sony CyberShot W220? Stats are pretty similar, but I know just the brand can make a big difference in quality. Thoughts?

This is actually a pretty good, cheap camera.
GE Digital Camera

Example shots
Surfer.jpg

Panoramic in camera stitch
pier.jpg

Btw: is it me or is the Canon G 11 a step back compared to the G 10??

Only if you don't realize that there is more to a camera than sheer Megapixel count.

lower resolution, flash range, continuous shooting, things that are not so unimportant, especially the continuous shooting..

In addition, i completely forgot: wich one of these cameras is relatively good for recording videos?

lower resolution, flash range, continuous shooting, things that are not so unimportant, especially the continuous shooting..

Yes they are unimportant to the P&S market....

* flash range is improved in the G11 over the G10. If your intention is flash photography then you should be shot if you are not taking advantage of the hotshoe).

* Mpixels are not so important once you get into the 10+ range. 99% of the photos are printed at 4x6, 5x7, 8x10.. 14mpixel is way overkill. If you start going into the typical "more resolution to crop" debate, you are now ignoring the fact that the smallish lenses on these P&S cameras will not resolve enough anyways. The market aim for these cameras are not photographers aiming to print poster sized pictures nor a significant amount of cropping.

* Lower pixel density usually translates to lower signal to noise ratio at the sensor. This translates to superior high ISO performance. High noise at even ISO 400 has been the biggest most annoying aspect of using P&S cameras....

* continuous shooting. G11 is faster than the G10. For the typical P&S photographer, continuous drive is not so important as the shutter lag. From what I can tell, the G11 improves on the G10 in this respect.

* G11 also brought back the swivel LCD screen. One of the features that set apart the G-series from all cameras was the integrated swivel rotating LCD paired with the optical viewfinder. This was the case from G1 through the G6.

If you apply the features that are important to DSLR users to that of the P&S market, you will fail to understand that the markets are different. The thorn of P&S shooters has always been IQ, high ISO performance, and shutter lag. I think the G11 improves on the G10 in these aspects. The issue here is that the typical consumer doesn't understand and simply look at the mpixel count as a measure in overall quality and performance. Simply put.. it is a marketing nightmare.

Ok... opinions of the Canon PowerShot SD1200IS as compared to the Sony CyberShot W220? Stats are pretty similar, but I know just the brand can make a big difference in quality. Thoughts?

The one thing you have to realize about Sonys is that they use memory sticks instead of the typical SD, MicroSD, or compact flash. Might be slightly annoying if you already stocked up on SD cards.

Most reactions

Back