Polarizer filter question

Mr. Murmeli

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I'm going to buy a polarizer filter to one of my lenses (includes my future coming purchases). Question is though, where can you or should you really use that filter? I know that when the sun is shining the colours look more saturated and the sky looks great but what if you took a picture for example inside a house with that filter? The reflections are gone but what else happens in the picture?

So overall my question is what situations suit the polarizer the best? When do you use it if you have one?

Thanks! :D

You should use that filter outside at 90° from the sun for optimal polarization. You can use it in scenes with water or windows to minimize reflections. You can also use them if you need to reduce 1-2 stops of light coming through your lens if you want to be able to shoot at slower shutter speeds~ for example, waterfalls and creating silky smooth flowing water (although ND filters are the norm).

I use polarizers for 90% of my nature photography. I think the colors are often better and things "pop" more in the photos.

Make sure you buy a circular polarizer . It provides the same filter effects as a linear polarizer, but is designed to work with auto focus and beam assist metering.

Thanks for your answers!

I'm not buying the filter immediately because i'm not sure yet which lens to equip with one. But this took some uncertainty out of the equation so your answers are appreciated :).

A good CPOL is expensive. Remember; this will be the first thing that affects the light on it's way to your sensor, so buying cheap is NOT a good idea. Look to brands such as Hoya or Tiffen (Multi-coated), B+W/Schneider, Heliopan, or Singh-Ray. As to which lens, buy the size for the largest lens you have and then buy step-down rings to adapt it to all of your other lenses.

A good CPOL is expensive. Remember; this will be the first thing that affects the light on it's way to your sensor, so buying cheap is NOT a good idea. Look to brands such as Hoya or Tiffen (Multi-coated), B+W/Schneider, Heliopan, or Singh-Ray. As to which lens, buy the size for the largest lens you have and then buy step-down rings to adapt it to all of your other lenses.

Step-down rings? never heard of those :D. Thanks for the advice! I knew already that cheap won't do in this case but the adapter thing was totally new information :).

Hi,

I'm going to buy a polarizer filter to one of my lenses (includes my future coming purchases). Question is though, where can you or should you really use that filter?

Good also in woods when their are patches of strong sunlight coming through the tree canopies - reduces glare. But you may lose about 2 stops of light, using it.

Step-down rings? never heard of those :D. Thanks for the advice! I knew already that cheap won't do in this case but the adapter thing was totally new information :).

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Adorama-Step-Up-Adapter-Ring-Filter/dp/B0002E3WKO"]Step-down rings[/ame] inexpensive and available in pretty much any size you'll need.

I only use a polarizer outside because it cuts down on too much light if used inside. You can get some very deep blues in the sky with a polarizer but make sure you get a good brand or you can get some nasty flares.

Most reactions

Back