Polarizing Filter + ND Filter

Meeko253

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Am I able to stack a ND filter ontop of a polarizing filter on my 72mm lens? Or is it recommended to not stack filters and use only one filter?

Thank you
-J

Stack away; remember that the CPOL will count as somewhere between 1 and 2 stops of ND on its own.

Stack away; remember that the CPOL will count as somewhere between 1 and 2 stops of ND on its own.

Noob question, what does CPOL stand for? Haha. I've been out of the game for 4 years now and I am seeing abbrebrivations I dont recognize.

Noob question, what does CPOL stand for? Haha. I've been out of the game for 4 years now and I am seeing abbrebrivations I dont recognize.

Circular POLarizor. Usually abbreviated CPL.

I've been stacking them and as long as you have good quality filters you will be fine.

Is 72mm the filter size? What is the lens focal length? If it is relatively wide then stacked filters could give a bit of vignette or the CPL might give varying effects from one side of the image to the other.

I would use a step-up ring and buy 77mm filters. You will probably end up with a lens having 77mm filter threads at some point and probably don't want to be buying more filters.

As to stacking order, some people say to keep down reflecting to have the ND closest to the lens, however if it is a really strong ND then with the CPL you may not be able to see the effect as you rotate the CPL, so if the CPL is first you can set it then put on the ND (and somehow not turn the CPL in the process).

Instead of the sky, I often look at the ground as I rotate the CPL.

There's no real problem, per se, with stacking filters, but you'd want to try it first when you're in a position that lets you test things out, not do things and later regret. Main things to look for are loss of sharpness, skewed colours (heavy colour cast that you can't seem to fix without murdering the image), and flare (try shooting toward the sun, and at different angles). Take some test shots, first without the filter, then with one filter, then with the other filter, and then with both stacked. Also try flipping between them—put one filter over the other, then take both off and the one you put second before, place it first this time. It shouldn't really make a difference, but I guess it's worth trying.

Most reactions

Back