Polarizing filter

puyjapin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Please can someone explain to me as i know nothing! I have a filter here marked PL, i assume this is a Circular polarising filter, it rotates but as far as i can see its a piece if coloured glass and rotating it does absoloutely nothing to the glass whatsoever. Am i missing the point? Would this be the best filter to use for shots of say Koi carp in a pond?
Thx

It would be because a polarizer can cut out reflected light - which if your shooting a pond in good lighting is something you will get on the surface. What you have to do though is put the filter on the lens, frame the shot and then twist the filter to remove the most reflections from the scene - then shoot.

Take it outside on a sunny day and look through the filter (on or off the lens) while standing at 90 degrees to the sun's rays while rotating the filter. That should show you some of what the filter can do.

ok thanks just tried it, may go to the pond tomorrow!

so for general use leave the UV one on or is a clear filter better for general protection?

I use a UV filter for regular protection since there are some arguments that you don't lose quality. But some people say they do. I don't notice difference though

As an added bonus, a dialed-in polarizer will also add extra saturation to your color photographs. Velvia 100 + polariazer makes for some great nature shots :wink:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back