POLICE and Photography

Stormchase

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been shooting for about a year now. 3 Times now I have had police officers inquire about what im doing standing in a bush on the side of the road holding my rig on a tripod. well ... Taking pictures of Bugs of coarse! I have never had a real problem but its kinda a pain anytime that I seem to come across a police car I have to explain myself. Some have enjoyed my days shots tho :hug::
I know a little on how police officers think. I knew one that had a saying. "If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck... Its probly a duck" So... If its odd that im in a bush, odd that im in a bush holding a 4 foot long black thing (tripod), odd that im in a bush, holding my long black thing at night, somethings most likely not right. No blame for me standing out lol.
\
\ Anyways just wondering if anyone has had some intresting run ins with the Law while you have been out shooting. Or for that fact run-ins with anyone intresting. Let me hear some stories!!

I had an officer approach me while I was photographing a homeless man in Atlanta. Oddly enough, he came up to me to ask if he could photograph ME, for some odd reason. Could me being dressed like a Klingon warrior at the time have anything to do with it? Nope, other than that, no one ever looks twice at me and my camera...I must be boring (sigh).

Nope...never had police bother me with my photography.

I've never had any encounters with the police when taking pictures. But, I'll be honest and say it's something always in the back of my mind. I make sure when I'm in public taking shots, I am keeping myself in the open, make it very obvious I'm a photographer with nothing to hide. In fact, even though I'm under no legal obligation to, I would immediately offer to show the officer the pictures I'd taken. Hell, ya never know, it might lead to a sale.

So, always carry a business cards.

never had problems with REAL cops. Only with COPS WANNABE!! I was parked at the edge of COSTCO parking lot (very very far from the building), a white SUV with yellow strobe light drove by and told me to leave. They dont want anyone in their lot when it is not business hour. WTH.

Another time was on a Campus. A campus security told me to leave. I was taking some HDR of old buildings on campus.

lol My husband was a cop and now works for the feds, yet I ALWAYS get nervous around cops and it makes me appear to look like I'm doing something wrong. :lmao:

I've been pulled over 38 times in the 11 years I've had my license and I've gotten 3 tickets. I attract cops like flies to decay or something...

My brother in law is ex-swat, now gang-unit sergeant so I'm fairly at ease with the cops and I've only been asked once about taking photos. When he saw what I was doing, he moved his car so no one could accidentally target-fixate on me and run me over (side of the highway) and gave me a few tips on better safety near roads. :)

I've been pulled over 38 times in the 11 years I've had my license and I've gotten 3 tickets. I attract cops like flies to decay or something...

It sounds like you need to slow down!!!! Dang!!:lol:

It sounds like you need to slow down!!!! Dang!!:lol:
Yeah. I've had maybe 5 tickets since I was driving. 4 of those were in the first year, lol.

I've had several similar experiences with cops. I think it's the night pictures thing. When I first really got into photography, I was fixated with the stars. So one winter night that was uber clear, my sister and I went down to a field at a conservation area near our parent's house. About 5 minutes into a bulb exposure (I wanted star trails), a cop pulled in with his spotlight on. So much for that shot! lol.

He was nice enough. Just wanted to know what we were doing. I told him "taking pictures" and he replied "Of what?". I can only imagine what was going through his mind. But when I told him "the stars" and he saw the camera pointed up on the tripod, he seemed to be satisfied.

When my battery ran out, we went back for my spare (I always forget something). He stopped again when we got back down there because he knew we had left. He also asked if we had seen a gray truck in the area.

Something similar happened the night of the meteor shower. My brother and I went to some bluffs that have been cut out for the highway. They overlook a valley and gave us a clear 360 degree view of the sky. We had two different cops stop to ask what we were up to. Luckily, neither used their spotlights, lol.

I actually like that they're stopping. It gives you that sense that the cops around here know what's going on and if something looks suspicious, they check it out.

@misstwinklytoes: I had the same problem until I traded in my Firebird. Oddly enough, the cops don't seem to want to pull over a PT Cruiser. :er: I get the feeling that when they see me speeding, they're just impressed I was able to get it over 60, lol. I do miss those T-tops, tho. :(

I had an officer approach me while I was photographing a homeless man in Atlanta. Oddly enough, he came up to me to ask if he could photograph ME, for some odd reason.
He probably thought you were being exploitative by photographing the bum asked to take your picture as maybe a humorous way of giving you a dose of your own medicine.

<shrug> Can't blame him, really. I know I've had my fill of photos of crusty bums and African tribes that people ordinarily give two-shits about.

Only a handful of those were for speeding. My first car was a 1967 lime green VW bug with peace signs, mushrooms, and flower decals around the wheel wells (it was SO sweet as a sweet 16 gift!)... and cops just liked the attention I guess... also I was fairly good looking back in the day. :er: (Ten years and two kids ago.)

I actually got pulled over because my windshield was too flat... *eye roll*

Enough said......

canttouchthis.jpg

Most reactions

Back