Police Car photos ?

Just because you're not "breaking the law" doesn't mean they can't totally **** up the rest of your night/weekend.

This is true. Cops can--and will--arrest you for anything if they are predisposed to do so. They will come up with any charge ranging from trespassing, failure to leave when asked, obstruction, interfering with a police officer, etc. etc. It doesn't matter to them that the charges may be dropped or reduced. The point is that you will be thrown into lockup with all manner of ne'er-do-wells--from drunk drivers, to addicts coming off of a 2 week meth bender. You'll have to bail yourself out of jail ($500+), hire a lawyer ($1500 retainer), car impounded?, gear confiscated--oh no! don't know HOW those photos got erased...SORRY!, and on, and on, and on....

Unless you are a credentialed reporter with the backing of your news organization, it's best not to argue the intricacies of photographers' rights with a cop with an attitude if you are not on your property.

Cops destroy evidence by deleting photos are committing a criminal offense. Plus if I actually cost me that much to get out of jail and hire a lawyer, I'm going to have the lawyer draw up a civil suit against the department for wrongful arrest and every other violation that's committed against me.

Sure, the cop might ruin my day, but I'm pretty sure if the city/county/state has to pay me a lot more than the $2000 I spent to get out of jail and get a lawyer, that cop is going to have a hard time finding work as anything other than a guy slinging donuts to his buddies while they're on permanent break at Krumpie's.

Just throwing it out there... Pictures of civilian law enforcement vehicles are okay, however military is not!

Ever seen pictures/video of police/military on the news?

Only once have I seen military police. Saw coverage of a persuit where the individual made the mistake of driving through a fence onto a military base. All the police cars stopped and then two white SUV's driven by MP's came out of nowhere and beat the living **** out of the vehicle.

civilian law enforcement is a different story, see that all the time

Ever seen a newscaster thrown in jail for it?

Not once

Just throwing it out there... Pictures of civilian law enforcement vehicles are okay, however military is not!

The military is an entirely different ball game with a different set of rules.
I know, I'm an MP! lol.

However I do have some pictures of snow covered patrol cars right now on my phone.

Only once have I seen military police. Saw coverage of a persuit where the individual made the mistake of driving through a fence onto a military base. All the police cars stopped and then two white SUV's driven by MP's came out of nowhere and beat the living **** out of the vehicle.

Not once

Then I'd imagine that as long as you're respectful and aren't doing anything aggressive/illegal, you're fine to take pictures of whatever you want. I've seen tons of photos of active duty equipment, both military and law enforcement. You're not going to get arrested for taking a photo.

4269049656_d94d735a25.jpg

lol I photoshopped out a security vehicle that was driving towards me. I don't think they were going to say anything, but all the same, I got the heck out of there.

Not once

Then I'd imagine that as long as you're respectful and aren't doing anything aggressive/illegal, you're fine to take pictures of whatever you want. I've seen tons of photos of active duty equipment, both military and law enforcement. You're not going to get arrested for taking a photo.

lol I photoshopped out a security vehicle that was driving towards me. I don't think they were going to say anything, but all the same, I got the heck out of there.

Oh, I thought you where refferring specifically to law enforcement actions be it civilian or military.

As for general equipment Bah, I've seen plenty. Used to have a a few of my own, wish I still had the negs.

The military is an entirely different ball game with a different set of rules.
I know, I'm an MP! lol.

However I do have some pictures of snow covered patrol cars right now on my phone.

This is sounds exactly like what a cop would say.

There are certain installations where photography is prohibited, but it's not illegal to photograph military.

ya know ima try that go to dc nations capital find a police car with and officer in it take a pic and see what he says:lmao:

Not once

Oh, I thought you where refferring specifically to law enforcement actions be it civilian or military.

As for general equipment Bah, I've seen plenty. Used to have a a few of my own, wish I still had the negs.

did the guy who video taped the Rodney King beating get arrested? I don't think so.

My understanding is that if your on public property what ever you can photograph, you can photograph. Military installations being the only exception that I know of. So if a policeman stops you and your on public property, just ask him, "Whats's wrong Officer, Dunkin Donuts closed?"

I think what some people were trying to say is that while it is not illegal, if a cop doesn't like it, they will find an excuse to arrest you. I would stand up for my rights and probably get arrested, as I mms I could recoup my expenses and then some because I broke no law.

Ever since 9/11, a lot of LE has used it as an excuse to prohibit photography and make people delete photos, and most people don't know any better, so they comply.

Several years ago (30?) while driving across town I saw a police call at a liquor store robbery. I stopped across the street and got on top of my van and shot about 20 pictures of the police taking the suspect into custody. The police saw me, one of them came over asked why I was taking pictures? I told them no reason just because. They asked if they could get some prints. So I gave them a business card. Never heard from them again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back