Police Car photos ?

I was taking pics of my car in a parking lot and a cop stopped and asked me what I was doing.

Just because they stop and ask doesn't mean you're in trouble.

I think what some people were trying to say is that while it is not illegal, if a cop doesn't like it, they will find an excuse to arrest you. I would stand up for my rights and probably get arrested, as I mms I could recoup my expenses and then some because I broke no law.

Ever since 9/11, a lot of LE has used it as an excuse to prohibit photography and make people delete photos, and most people don't know any better, so they comply.

And this is where the problem has been. First some in the LE community believe they have been granted more powers than they have. Second too many people believe that as well and, comply with any unlawful order.
Me Im one of those old farts that grew up during the 60s&70s, they were very turbulent and, there was much abuse or attempted abuse of rights on both sides. But having grown up in that time I learned what my actual rights are and, what they are not, which is important on knowing when to comply and, when to fight. My first question is what ordinance have I violated? If I get an obscure answer and threats of arrest, I request that their supervisor be called to the location so he can explain it to me. Also I carry the photographers rights with me for them to read if they will. Usually those two things get me left alone. As a rule Im combative without being rude or agressive. I have been told to leave places and refused and, said please arrest me, which has yet to happen. I have many friends in LE and they tend to agree with me that some of their fellow officers need a clue in life. Especially after 9/11.

Hey Rob, I live just over beside you in maryville. It is not Illegal to take pictures of a police car. However I am sure that if an officer wanted to be a jackass he could give you a hard time about it.

Being a Police Officer, I can assure you that you can not and will not go to jail for taking a photograph of a police car.

With that being said.....DO make sure that the car is in a public place (same as shooting any other object or building) and DO NOT interfere or delay the officers from doing their job, because that CAN land you in jail.

P.S. Not feeling the love for doing a very difficult job.....I guess all of the COP haters here will not being calling when they need help.

The unfortunate fact is that most of the cops I have run into have been douche bags. I try not to lump everyone into that category, but I keep getting disappointed.

P.S. Not feeling the love for doing a very difficult job.....I guess all of the COP haters here will not being calling when they need help.

It's not 'cop hating' to cite the fact that many photographers recently have faced opposition while legally practicing their craft. No one in this thread said they hated cops, but offered realistic advice based on the question posed.

As a police officer, do you question someone taking photos of you while you are in public? If so, why? They have committed no crime, yet they are stopped and questioned for committing a legal act.

It's no secret that some police officers overstep their bounds and lose sight of the 'protect and serve' mentality. Does this mean all cops are subject to derision? No, but that's not the matter here. This isn't a thread to provide compliments and validation for your career choice - even though it is a noble and often dangerous one.

Being a police officer, maybe you could tell us the best thing to say to a cop that is hassling us for taking photographs of a public servant in a public place?

Someone with a camera taking photos of someone in a profession such as law enforcement is rattling. Officers understand that people are intrigued by law enforcement however we also know that we have the most hated profession on earth (aside from DMV employees.) People taking photos/video could be someone studying our tactics, our equipment, and our over all complacency. Something we're all taught in our training is "Go home alive," so our curiosity of someones actions and motives is part of our training and desire to live.
If you were in our shoes and were unsure of someone watching you, plotting against you, wouldn't you be inquisitive as well?

Being a Police Officer, I can assure you that you can not and will not go to jail for taking a photograph of a police car.

With that being said.....DO make sure that the car is in a public place (same as shooting any other object or building) and DO NOT interfere or delay the officers from doing their job, because that CAN land you in jail.

How about 2 cops leaning against a cop car?

Prime examples of those that abuse their power:
Photography Is Not A Crime

There's good ones and bad ones though. Any night of the week in my little college town you can catch a ride home with a cop rather than having to walk home intoxicated or get a drunk in public for trying to walk home from the bar rather than drive.

Someone with a camera taking photos of someone in a profession such as law enforcement is rattling. Officers understand that people are intrigued by law enforcement however we also know that we have the most hated profession on earth (aside from DMV employees.) People taking photos/video could be someone studying our tactics, our equipment, and our over all complacency. Something we're all taught in our training is "Go home alive," so our curiosity of someones actions and motives is part of our training and desire to live.
If you were in our shoes and were unsure of someone watching you, plotting against you, wouldn't you be inquisitive as well?

This is the kind of thinking that has pervaded many people...that a legal act is immediately suspicious, because if perceived intent. If i wanted to study a cops tactics, that is completely legal. Not to sound inflamatory, but if your training leads you to believe that photographers are threats, then I think a reevaluation is in order.

Photographers taking pictures do not pose a threat. We are not attempting to be stealthy most if the time, and utilize big honkin' SLRs which are not inconspicuous. Any criminal intent of photography could be less overt and using a more inconspicuous camera.

I don't expect any of you to understand it because you are not provided with the same information and details as law enforcement.

I don't expect any of you to understand it because you are not provided with the same information and details as law enforcement.

No pun intended, but what a cop-out answer.

You are willing to challenge the notion that police should allow civilians to photograph them, as they have no rights to privacy while in public, and all their actions are done as public servants. I am sure 'classified' information allows the police to do all sorts of things that the ignorant public call them crooked for. </sarcasm>

No pun intended, but what a cop-out answer.

You are willing to challenge the notion that police should allow civilians to photograph them, as they have no rights to privacy while in public, and all their actions are done as public servants. I am sure 'classified' information allows the police to do all sorts of things that the ignorant public call them crooked for. </sarcasm>

Have you ever had to approach a vehicle on a traffic stop and worry if the driver is going to turn around with a gun?
Respond to a domestic dispute, an intrusion alarm, assault, medical assistance, anything?
Or stand a Marine Corps Base entry point worrying about someone approaching with a gun or even a bomb?

It's not just that you aren't provided the information but you've more than likely never experienced those things, assuming you're part of the general population with no law enforcement/military experience.

I'm not trying to say that power ridden cops that think their badge is a crown should be allowed to get away with bullying people but for them to ask questions or inquire as to what someone is doing is perfectly acceptable.

I definitely do not like being a dick head cop, I hate writing tickets. I prefer to give verbal warnings if anything at all. I chose this job to stop real crime not speeding, broken tail lights, or for the sake of discussion photographers.

Most reactions

Back