Police Harassing Timelapse Photographer (Video title)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't read this whole post, too much information overload, so sue me if someone else covered it.

There are two sides to every argument. From the side of the photog he was being "Hassled" by the police. From the side of the police they see a guy on the side of the road in the middle of the night taking photographs down on passing cars, and they stop to see what is going on.

Personally, in this day and time I'd rather they stop and ask me a dozen times when I'm doing nothing wrong than NOT stop the one time I need them to. The entire situation would have been avoided had the photographer simply shown them his ID. Did he have to? I don't know, I'm not a lawyer. Was there a reason not to? Nope, none other than being an ass. Were the police officers within their rights to ask for it? Yes, they were.

Now, more to the point: Have *I* ever been asked for my ID when I was doing nothing wrong? Yes, I have. Did I show it to the police officer? Yes, I did. What did he do then? He said, "Thank you, sir. Have a good evening." and both of us went about our business.

Situations like this would be a whole lot simpler if people would just put themselves in the shoes of the police from time to time. How would you like to walk up to a guy in the middle of the night, no clue what he is doing, no way of knowing if he's high or drunk or nuts or just plain normal? Police officers have one goal each and every time they go on duty: To go home in one piece when their shift is over. To do that they have to be careful. They have to treat every stop as if the person is armed and dangerous because the one time they don't he probably will be. They also have to tread the narrow line between being careful and polite. They have to be politically correct with everyone they meet. They have to be able to justify everything they say or do.

Am I a police officer? Nope, I wouldn't do their job for anything in the world. I am, however, grateful for the fact that they are there, and when I come into contact with one I treat them with the respect that they deserve as long as they treat me with the respect that I deserve.

Very true scraig, I watched the video again it sounded like both were giving each other hard time. If I was there I would have told them I,m taking the time lapse photos explained what that was and handed them my ID. Then told them I wanted to continue my work.

Last edited:
Haha love that movie <3 this is bat country!

its his attitude. regardless of wether its legal or not. cop "why are you taking photos" guy" because i can" sorry but thats just a snotty remark.

Well, it's an accurate remark. He IS taking photos 'because he can' and shouldn't have to worry about the police coming up to him and asking for his papers.

Actually the photographer should fill out a police report for harassment against the officer. If there is no follow-up, then he can get action from the prosecutor's office or a judge. Taking pictures is not an illegal activity so the officer had no legal reason to stop him, ask questions or ask for ID. What the officer did was illegal.

skieur

its his attitude. regardless of wether its legal or not. cop "why are you taking photos" guy" because i can" sorry but thats just a snotty remark.

Your missing the point. Your attitude should not matter to the officer. He's there to asses the situation not you as a person.

His answer"because I can" is literally CORRECT. He has every right to do so. Anyone who considers that attitude is the one with the problem.

skieur

Legally, unless you are driving a car, you are not required to carry ID in Canada or in the US. I would venture to say that any state laws to the contrary would violate the American Constitution. Since you are not required to carry ID, you are not required to show it. I was once stopped by provincial police in a car full of people that was driving up the highway sideways in what the police would have considered to be suspicious circumstances. They impounded the car but the only ID they asked for was the license, ownership, and insurance of the driver.

If they arrest you they can ask for ID, but even then it can be a "John Doe warrant" but without a charge the arrest won't hold, since taking photos is not illegal.

If more people stood up for their rights like the photographer in the film, there would be LESS harassment of photographers by the police.

skieur

A post from Skieur that I agree with! Nice!

without a charge the arrest wont hold. but most of us prefer not to spend the night in jail wether were right or wrong. you guys may be fine with not showing your id and beign arrested and then later let go.

Well, in New York, some of those who spent the night in jail turned around and sued the police for unlawfully stopping them, unlawful confinement, false arrest etc. and they WON for judgements from $5,000 up from the police. Comments from one judge indicated that he could not believe the less than intelligent actions of the police.

skieur

I believe if you watch the video closely. You will see the photographer has his car parked right next to him on the bridge. In most states it's a traffic violation to park on bridges and overpasses. If this is the case here the officer is investigating a traffic offense. When being investigated for a traffic violation you must produce a valid operators license (I.D.)

"His" car? He never said it was his. There is just a car there. And I never saw any "No Parking" signs.

I love the circular logic in this thread.

1. Police's job is to protect and serve, a task which involves knowing what's going on in their area of responsibility
2. Cop stops to chat with someone, at night, on a bridge
3. People up in arms at Police taking steps to know what's going on in their area of responsibility
4. Repeat #1

adversus said:

1. Police's job is to protect and serve, a task which involves knowing what's going on in their area of responsibility
3. People up in arms at Police taking steps to know what's going on in their area of responsibility
4. Repeat #1

True, and I think the photog should have used some better manners. Tge photog immediatly went in

4. Repeat #1

But here's what happened:

3. Police get answer, then through their own ignorance act illegally and unprofessionaly
4. Civil rights violated
5. 15 pages of posts created on innernets forum

I believe if you watch the video closely. You will see the photographer has his car parked right next to him on the bridge. In most states it's a traffic violation to park on bridges and overpasses. If this is the case here the officer is investigating a traffic offense. When being investigated for a traffic violation you must produce a valid operators license (I.D.)

"His" car? He never said it was his. There is just a car there. And I never saw any "No Parking" signs.

When I watched the video I noticed wires coming out of the car to his tripod. I know in MA its the operators responsibility to know the traffic laws. Sign or no sign you cant stop on a bridge or overpass and hangout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back