Poll : Aspect Ratio

What aspect ratio do you prefer if you can choose?

• Total voters

Dikkie

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
If you have a camera that allows you to shoot in different size formats, or aspect ratios...
which one would you prefer to use?
E.g. if the camera allows you to choose from 2:3; 4:3; 16:9 or other...

Or which one are you using right now, and for what reason?

Are you shooting the highest resolution and crop afterwards? Or do you let your camera pre-crop it ? Or some other reasons?

4:5 for portrait aspect and
2:3 for landscape

If you have a camera that allows you to shoot in different size formats, or aspect ratios...
which one would you prefer to use?
Are you shooting the highest resolution and crop afterwards? Or do you let your camera pre-crop it ? Or some other reasons?

Why would anyone let camera have its own way in cropping?
The only time I shoot less than full res is when I shoot the occasional jpg for auction sites.

I would only use the ratio that best matches the shape of the viewfinder.

I use full resolution, and then crop to fit the picture frame I want to put the image in.

Most DSLRs shoot 2:3, but my favorite film cameras shot square negatives and you crop after-the-fact.

Regardless of what the camera is capable of, I never use less than the full resolution of the sensor.

It depends. Some images will naturally fall into each of those categories. If I had to choose one to use all the time it probably would be 4:3 because when I shoot 3:2 with my SLR I usually end up cropping to something closer to 4:3 or sometimes even square. If I did want 3:2 I could crop to it.

Ok I see.
I ask this because I'm so used to shoot 2:3 for years now, since I used film, and with DSLR aswel...
I'm so used to look through the viewfinder in 2:3 format. My eyes and mind are just looking and thinking in 2:3 format.

If I'd look through a viewfinder that is 4:3, my mind will always crop to 2:3 to see what I'll have to cut later on, because I only publish in that format later on. That way it's more easy for me to set it already in 2:3....

I think I'm not able to change my mindset to another size :aah:

I shoot whatever the scene calls for, then I custom cut a mat to fit. I just want the scene not the camera viewfinder to dictate the crop.

4X5 when that's the final product anyway- saves a lot of time, whatever is closest to the final output. The fewer pixels I have to account for in a large batch the better. 2X3 otherwise.

The 4:3 aspect ratio generally requires the least cropping to get to the other popular aspect ratios of 5:4 and 7:5.

Necro-bump!

Curious as to what other people prefer. I've found that for landscape and automotive I like 2:3 but portraits are more suited to 4:5.

16:9 seems like the most elegant to me so that's what i go with most off the time. Sometimes if it doesn't feel right to me i'll use whatever makes the picture work for me.

I love 4:3 ... if I could freely chose, I would pick that one as the "default" aspect ratio of my camera.

Obviously I shoot 2:3 and afterwards cut to 16:9, 4:3 or 1:1 if the scene demands it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back