Poll: should we revolt?

Is KMH encouraging you to spend more time as this forum with his moderation?

• Yes

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Like button is STILL HERE! Buuuuuuuuuuuuut, it is wayyyyyyyyyy over on the right hand side, just above the separator line below the body text and above the sig file of each poster's reply...

There is a brand new thread about the Like Button, posted today!

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...9-if-you-think-like-button-has-gone-awol.html

Even with those directions its still not there for me!

Seriously it's not there for me at least. I even tried stretching my browser across these dual monitors so it would be waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy over there!

Here is a screen cap of your post, forum friend!

$LIKE BUTTON_SMALL.jpg

It only shows up if your cursor is hovering over an individual post. That and you have to believe in the like button for it to believe in you.

The Like button is STILL HERE! Buuuuuuuuuuuuut, it is wayyyyyyyyyy over on the right hand side, just above the separator line below the body text and above the sig file of each poster's reply...

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...9-if-you-think-like-button-has-gone-awol.html

Seriously it's not there for me at least. I even tried stretching my browser across these dual monitors so it would be waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy over there!

Don't stretch your Browser.. use the scroll bar at the bottom.. you will notice is has space to the right???? And you have to have your cursor over the post!

I can find the like button, but when I go to click on it, it vanishes!

The rules have changed over time. That facepalm photo is probably posted in hundreds of threads. Only one resulted in the person being banned.
And simply got removed the first time. When he posted it a second time in the same thread simply to spite KmH THAT is what caused the problems. One of the rules (on the FAQ page) reads:

* Should you disagree with a staff member's decision regarding one of your posts, please contact that staffer, or the site owner, privately. Publicly challenging a staff member may result in banning, regardless of who is deemed right. For example: a moderator closes your thread. Opening a new thread on the same topic or to insult or challenge the moderator may lead to your being banned.

This *IS* exactly the situation that occurred and the result was exactly as was posted.

As far as KMH, the only thing I have ever seen him do is correct grammar, post links to copyright law, post links to the forum rules, or post links to other websites and tell the OP he needs to get to reading. And if that is what he wants to do, fine. If he was a member, I could just put him on ignore and move on. Instead, he is a moderator and goes around banning people.

In any case, this forum has just gotten silly. When this many long time members are upset, there is obviously something going on.

As far as this forum being a democracy, of course it is not...it is something that makes the admin/owners money...this business just happens to be a bit different since we are the ones providing the content. Without the members, there is no forum. Just something I wanted to remind the admins of...which is why this was posted in the feedback forum. Wasn't necessarily meant for a debate.
I agree, and I have used the exact same arguments on another forum. On that one the owners and moderators are truly absurd. Topics simply disappear, they are not closed they just disappear with no reason given. The same for members, they simply get banned for no apparent reason. No explanations are ever given, the members are simply left to speculate as to the reasons, and because of that they are certainly going to repeat them.

I have mentioned the exact same thing. This particular forum is sponsored by a magazine publisher, and their magaznine touts "Come join our forum and let our group of resident experts help with all of your questions." I have commented that the members *ARE* that group of resident experts and that without them the forum is nothing. My words simply fell on deaf ears until the post was removed (with no reason given).

This is a fact of life with forums, and I've seen a lot of them disappear because of it. I've also seen a lot of them survive despite it. They are always going to be this way because there is always, ultimately, one person who decides what is right and what is wrong. That person is also the one who holds the purse strings, pays the bills, and makes the rules. All one can do, assuming they decide to stay of course, is to bite their tongue and go along with it. I've been in your position, I've tried to make a difference, and it did no good whatsoever. I wish you luck but I don't suspect it's going to work.

As a mod on another forum, I can tell you that things don't just 'disappear', They're dragged off to the Mod section where only they and Admin can see them. Sometimes that's done at the OP's request, done with a PM (you never see) to a mod. Sometimes another member reports the thread, which sends an email to all the mods and creates a thread in the mod subforum. A mod may then move the thread or post there.... again, actions and communications you as a member do not see.

When questioned (exactly like this thread is doing) by a member there about this type of activity, I simply responded that mods are fallible human beings, not omnipotent gods some think we should be.

For example, a post gets reported. In some cases, there's a discussion in the mod subforum about it, and it may take a day or two before the post is removed. Other times, the post is removed as soon as the first mod that sees it can act. Other times, the post is allowed to stand.

There's no handbook or instruction manual for moderators. They're left to their own devices. They, just like the rest of us cretins, have different backgrounds, different upbringings, different views, different opinions and different reactions to the same situation.

If KMH is the a-hole some believe him to be, he would have trashed this thread a long time ago.

Agreed that we do not always know the whole situation that goes on with the mods behind closed doors concerning infractions. but it seems that even in my short time here, i have noticed that the "rules" are subject (and maybe rightly so) to the whims of those that enforce them. sometimes the rules are heavily enforced, sometimes they are not. its a lack of consistency that is more irritating than anything else. I looked at the FAQ forum rules and i see a few of them that are kinda(?) enforced sometimes.

Im not disagreeing with the rules, or even debating Schwetty breaking them since he clearly did. im just saying that if this rule..* Flaming is not tolerated. Any member who routinely taunts, insults, or engages in any inflammatory, fight-inducing behavior will face banning, and such posts will be edited or removed.* can be routinely overlooked and/or forgiven, then I think Schwettylens might have gotten a bit of a harsh sentence with a banning, if the ban is permanent. if it isnt, I hope that Schwetty will put pride aside and return to the forum with no hard feelings on either side.

The rules have changed over time. That facepalm photo is probably posted in hundreds of threads. Only one resulted in the person being banned.

And simply got removed the first time. When he posted it a second time in the same thread simply to spite KmH THAT is what caused the problems. One of the rules (on the FAQ page) reads:

It was not the same photo twice.. it was two different photos. The second one (the MEME) has been posted a gazillion times by a gazillion different members.... with no visible action taken. I did a short 10 second search the other day.. and found several older posts with that image (and others) still in them.... no action taken.

If it had been the same photo twice.. then yes, that would have been provocation! But it wasn't!

And yeah. KMH is nothing if not a stickler for the "rules."

Yes, the flaming and name-calling and general rudeness regularly demonstrated by some members shouldn't be tolerated.

And yeah. KMH is nothing if not a stickler for the "rules."

If all the mods here were kindergarten teachers (which I'm sure they feel like they are at times) then yes, Keith is probably the most likely of the bunch to cancel recess early. That doesn't make him a bad person though, it just means he has a lower tolerance to bull**** than others.

Not that it should make any difference if I myself leave (let's face it, I'm not loved by all), but a few long time members (well, actually between 6-8) have talked about jumping ship and looking for a forum that doesn't have such an oppressive moderator.

That being said, the content level in this forum would drop dramatically, because we all post quite regularly.

You'd probably see a lot of copyrighted images of tumbleweeds posted shortly thereafter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back