Ponte Vecchio

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A photo of the Ponte Vecchio which spans the Arno river in Florence, Italy. Taken just after sunset during our adventure through Europe.

D800, 24-70 f/2.8 @ f/4.5, 38mm, 1/500, ISO 140

Wish the bridge was properly centered and the horizon lined up (which it might be I am looking at this reclined on my phone, but I am pretty sure it is not ) beautoful though. Sounds like a great adventue have fun and take lots of photos.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Wish the bridge was properly centered and the horizon lined up (which it might be I am looking at this reclined on my phone, but I am pretty sure it is not ) beautoful though. Sounds like a great adventue have fun and take lots of photos.

Sometimes you can't get everything JUST right! :tongue: There is no horizon to speak of, but the bridge itself is level. I think there is an optical illusion at play with the buildings on either bank of the river..

Sometimes you can't get everything JUST right! :tongue: There is no horizon to speak of, but the bridge itself is level. I think there is an optical illusion at play with the buildings on either bank of the river..

I think the issue may be that you're not exactly center of the river yourself. I think the optical illusion could have been improved by stepping to the right some.

Again, not always possible. Still a great photo!

I think the issue may be that you're not exactly center of the river yourself. I think the optical illusion could have been improved by stepping to the right some.

Again, not always possible. Still a great photo!

Good point, and that is most likely the case. And Thank you for the comment! I recall not being able to stand in just the right spot due to some impediment, but I can't remember what...

A photo of the Ponte Vecchio which spans the Arno river in Florence, Italy. Taken just after sunset during our adventure through Europe.

Lovely image. I don't get the issue about the bridge not being properly centered. To paraphrase Duke Ellington "If it looks good, it is good," and this looks good to me.

Last edited:

Lovely image. I don't get the issue about the bridge not being properly centered. To paraphrase Duke Elungton, "If it looks good, it is good," and this looks good to me.
Thank you! And that is a fantastic quote!

Lovely image. I don't get the issue about the bridge not being properly centered. To paraphrase Duke Elungton, "If it looks good, it is good," and this looks good to me.
I'm glad you like it. Ellington was once asked "What makes music good?" His reply was, "If it sounds good, it is good." That is still my favorite comment in the field of Aesthetics.

I'm glad you like it. Ellington was once asked "What makes music good?" His reply was, "If it sounds good, it is good." That is still my favorite comment in the field of Aesthetics.
I think a quote such as that defines how the beauty truely is in the eye of the beholder. An image that one person finds as flawed can be the opitamy of beauty to another.

Makes me wish I brought my D610 with me. While my a6000 shots were decent, I think I would have made out better overall with my D610 and my 24-70.

Makes me wish I brought my D610 with me. While my a6000 shots were decent, I think I would have made out better overall with my D610 and my 24-70.
At times it was a pain lugging it around, but there were so many beautiful places to photograph, I sure was glad I bought good gear with me..

Lovely! What a trip..
Is this the bridge referenced in 'Inferno' by Dan Brown? The King/Queen used the upper tier to cross the river and not have to hob-nob with peasants?

yes, that whole book is set in Florence.

Lovely! What a trip..
Is this the bridge referenced in 'Inferno' by Dan Brown? The King/Queen used the upper tier to cross the river and not have to hob-nob with peasants?

yes, that whole book is set in Florence.

Braineack is correct, it was set in Florence. That story is also widely known in the history of Florence. It's incredible to walk the bridge and think about the history. Built by the ancient Romans and still surviving today. The bridge used to host the city's butchers who both lived and worked on the bridge. Later, the butchers were forced to move to another part of the city because the smell offended whomever was in power at that time (can't remember who). From then on, only jewelers selling gold and silver were allowed to occupy the bridge, and they remain in place today selling incredible fine jewelry. The Ponte Vecchio was also the only bridge to survive the Nazi retreat from Florence. As they retreated, they detonated explosives destroying every bridge but the Ponte Vecchio. The theory is that Hitler visited the bridge and like it so much he instructed his troops to spare the bridge during the retreat.

Seriously great postcard! nice

Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back