poor bear shots

Alex_B

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
These two are the only two black bears I ever caught on film. Not brilliant, but maybe worth sharing...

I know exposure went wrong on both shots!

1: Young black bear
ontario_087.jpg

2: Young one taking refuge in a tree ... well not a great image either ... guess I was nervous since mommy was hiding in the bushes :p
ontario_118.jpg

Nervous? NERVOUS?!!! I'd have been running full tilt in the other direction (or backing away slowly, or whatever it is you're supposed to do). Pretty good shots, considering the circumstances (camera shake would have been a big problem for me!) I especially like the first one, with the bear amongst the daisies.

Nervous? NERVOUS?!!! I'd have been running full tilt in the other direction (or backing away slowly, or whatever it is you're supposed to do).

Well, both sides where afraid here (on the second one) .. I was moving slowly, so i was quiet, and they only realised me last second, and so did I ;).. so lil one went up the tree and mommy hid between some leaves.. so I stepped a few meters backwards and took the shot.

no tele lens used in any of them :p .. so pretty damn close!

Are you NUTS???!!! :hail:

well, I said I stepped back :p so I do not consider myself nuts :p

I had no food outside any containers... and if you make sure that they do not consider you a threat, then you are safe. Protection of the little one has highest priority for mommy. So don't give her any reason you might be after him. ... and you should watch them, how they deal with your presence, else you might be in trouble :p

By the way, both shots were taken in Algonquin!

telephoto FTW!!

there was no time to change lenses... believe me! ;)

you got some balls to take it up close like that though

well, I didn't ask them to pop up that close in front of me ... they just ... appeared! ;)

But I guess lil bear is grown up now, and he is telling some of his bear buddies on some bear forum, that that strange and dangerous human with that strange black thing in his face reading Canon ... just appeared in front of him! And they will admire lil bear for his courage! :p

You do know mommy bears don't like it when people get near their babies? Not a good spot to be in especially if you get between them. Might have been a time I just forgot about the photo and moved on very carefully.

I'm old and tough and don't think they would like chewing on me. You might be younger and tastier and they do get tired of nuts and berries.

You do know mommy bears don't like it when people get near their babies?

oh, yes, I am very aware of that! you can be sure that I made every effort to avoid any distress or getting in between them!

As I said, I did not try to get that close, but since it happened accidentally that we ran into each other and I had my camera out, I just took the chance and took the image while backing out ...

so what would you say to this one then? :p

nikon_small.jpg

and if you'll notice she was sleeping. ;)

or pretending to be! those wild creatures can be cunning, you know! ;)

Hmm, I got some cat shots too ... a jaguar that is .. should dig it out from my archive I guess ...

Right on. congrats on these, and having the cahoonas to get that close. :thumbup: :thumbup: Nicely captured.

While you're at it, post the pic of you poking a sharp stick at a sleeping hippo. I assume you have one. :p

Most reactions

Back