Poor mans tripod

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I can't tell much but I think I like the velbon better. It looks to have thicker leg sections and non-rotating leg design.
Though I like the worm gear for raising and lowering the Cullmann.

Key is which one is more stable?

The Velbon can carry half a kilo (17 ounces) more. But its double the price.

Nothing that is within my means is excluded. I am not a professional, nor am i a beginner. There has to be a word for people whose only experience with camerass are the occasional vacation photos?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Theres always the used market where you can get some great deals such as on eBay.de

take the weight limit into consideration. You don't say what you shoot with, but some long lenses can weigh a good amount.

Sorry, i am absent minded at times.

I am using the Nikon D3200. I am planning on using a 55-300 lens for forest and landscape photography. I may or may not use extension tubes and probably will buy an extra flash, since the one that is built into the camera is really basic.

so, will the weight limit support your heaviest gear? Mine supports 15lbs, that one supports almost 9 lbs.....

The Velbon can carry half a kilo (17 ounces) more. But its double the price.

My rule of thumb is to take the weight the manufacture says they tripod will carry and cut it in half and use that as the max amount of weight you can expect a tripod to realistically hold completely still.

Ew no don't get a 5 section tripod. The 3 section ones in the first post are going to work way better.

5 Section tripods will have really spindly wobbly legs fully extended and are for people with SPACE as their number one concern, not sturdiness. You're probably much better off for a normal, everyday, basic tripod with something like the original ones you had.

When buying tripods, you get to pick TWO of the following three things:
1) Sturdiness
2) Small size
3) Cheapness

I'll add my vote for the Velbon. I still use an 30+ year old cheap-at-the-time Velbon all aluminum tripod that I used to mount 2 SLRs with long lenses on a T-bar way back when. Rock solid. The pan head never caused me any problems. I added a Kirk clamp to it when I put an L bracket on my camera. That makes mounting/dismounting the camera less than 2 seconds.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back