poorly composed lightning shots

SrBiscuit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
aside from the awful composition of these, i was rather pleased with the results. i was excited, as it was my first good opportunity to attack some lightning.
comments welcome.
thanks for looking.
#1.
3662246357_8fdd1ae63b_b.jpg

#2.
3662129695_6545cba442_b.jpg

#3.
3662905046_ec9eb8ee2f_b.jpg

yeah...it was a perfect storm for caputring, but i didnt pay attention to my surroundings :( hopefully ill get another chance (and based on the summer thus far...i will).

thanks for the comments.

Great shots! Next time just walk about 5-10 feet forward and 5-10 feet to the right =) Or you can spend a couple hours on photoshop with the clone tool =)

lol...good call maulrat...

note to self: pay attention to surroundings ;)

Yeah those are insane captures despite the settings. Chalk it up to good practice for next time. I wish we had lightning like that where I am. Damned impressive.

I'm jealous. I spent 2 hours from 3 to 5am trying to get a shot of the lightening and just couldn't capture it. :grumpy:

my first several were garbage too...
little trial and error lead me to aperature that was somewhere around the 7-9 mark...what i had going for me was that the storm was SO active, i would keep the shutter open for anywhere from 20-50sec and i might get a few strikes.

the one thing i couldnt figure out (and maybe i misunderstood what i heard before)...
with the D40, i have the wireless remote, and i was under the impression that i could put it on bulb mode, and hit the remote once to open, and again to close...no such luck. guess i better explore that a bit to make sure it can be done that way.

I agree with everybody..

still, some great captures...

nice capture of the lightenin but obviously d electrical wires severly kills it in all the shots. good stuff though.
Baloney. The powerlines add an irony to the photo (electricity in the sky vs electricity on the ground).

I'd say the first one is just about perfect. I'd have liked to see a little bit of horizon beneath the houses. Clone out the rain drops on the lens and it's nearly there :)

Baloney. The powerlines add an irony to the photo (electricity in the sky vs electricity on the ground).

I'd say the first one is just about perfect. I'd have liked to see a little bit of horizon beneath the houses. Clone out the rain drops on the lens and it's nearly there :)

WOW i cant believe you were able to silver-line the powerlines!:hugs:
i hadnt thought of that at all.
it hadnt started raining yet at this point...what marks are looking like drops to you?...i wonder if i have a dust issue, or something else?

*on a side note*...i want to hand out thanks for all the feedback, but i seem to have lost the thank button...is there a limit? i only handed out the ones in this thread today. hmmmmmmm.

I agree, I think the first shot is fantastic. I think the power lines add in that "leading lines" concept, leading the eye toward the lightning strikes, which do look amazing. I think being able to see a bit more of the foreground in the first picture helps a lot.

The other two shots are nice too, but in the second one, the lightning "blew out" a little bit, and the third shot the lightning is pretty standard fare. I think some drama is added to the first shot due to the sidways bolts and such!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back