What's new

Portable Viewer? Tablet? iPad?

Fleetwood271

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 5, 2010
Messages
314
Reaction score
3
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Thanks!
 
Last edited:
I use my ASUS Transformer mainly because it's what I have. But in terms of brightness and contrast ratio, I think the Galaxy Tab 10.1 has it beat. I think it has the best tablet display on the market. But I researched this stuff a few months ago and this intel could be stale now. You know how these things go.
 
A neat thing you can do, at least with the ipad, and I'm assuming android tabs too, is get an eye-fye pro x2 memory card and use it to automatically transfer your photos to the ipad/tablet as you shoot. Since we know that checking focus on a 3" lcd can be questionable, you could use the ipad/tablet to do so on the much larger screen. Or you could use it to show photos to clients during a portrait session. Or to parents while you shoot sports. The possibilities here are endless.


After I get a few more essential pieces of camera gear, an ipad is definitely on my shopping list for this reason.
 
A portfolio book. Much more impressive
 
I can't argue with apple products, specifically the ipod touch, iphone, and ipad, being too locked down. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my iphone 4, but I shouldn't have to jailbreak it to change BASIC things. And it needs to support flash. These are serious downfalls on an ipad when compared to pretty much every other tablet.

One thing I can say though, is that apple does have a usb/sd card adapter that plugs into the ipad, so it does have that functionality to at least some extent. I'm not sure if you can transfer data, or if it's just for viewing purposes though.
 
Yes, you can transfer images to the iPad from the SD card using that adaptor. File transfer is pretty fast with no loss of detail that I can tell (but then I'm a noob). iPad also has some pretty good apps for editing which is great when you are traveling.
 
ipad for sure. its nice and slim so you can just show them the photo. but with a laptop you have to open it up and its big and awkward. but that is just my opinion.
 
I still use my Epson P2000, they are up to P7000 Epson P-7000 Multimedia Storage Viewer® - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.now with alot more memory. What I like is the screen clarity, has digital outputs, does slideshows etc., the best thing is that it fits in the camera bag and when you fill a card during a function you can download it while you are working! and know then you have it in two places! Check one out and see if it will work for what you are doing. Dump the cards into a single folder and transfer everything over to the computer at once. Easy to chimp and get rid of bad files etc. as well before you transfer.
-
Shoot well, Joe
 
Last edited:
I LOVE the screen on the iPad as a photo viewer. It is really bright with great colors, plus you can swipe through photos and pinch in and out of albums really easily.
 
+1 :thumbup: Plus it is more professional IMO.

Maybe, but for how long? Attitudes are changing.

Not really. "Attitudes are changing" has become the catch phrase for "I'm too lazy, or I'm too hip, or I am on the cutting edge" or a multitude of other excuses.

Walk into my place of business or many others looking for a job in casual attire, well have a nice time filling out the forms, cause that is as far as you are going to get. Were not talking about McDonalds here. Casual is fine if you are looking for a McJob. If you are looking for a career then you conform to it, not the other way around.

If I am looking for a photographer, the last thing I care about is seeing photos on a screen, computer, iPad or otherwise. I want to see how their work translates to print. Lots of stuff looks "good" on a computer, lcd etc. How many threads are there about prints not matching the screen when the pictures look so nice on the computer monitor? How many threads about why are my pictures so dark or so light, they looked good on the LCD? If I am looking at your work to evaluate it and possibly hire you, I want to see a hard copy, not a digital copy that I am seeing based on the parameters that may or may not be correctable on some device.

Same thing with all these photographers web sites these days with all the stupid Flash, fluff and music. If you have a good product to sell, it will sell itself and if your site does not have a skip flash check box and a kill the stupid music check box, I am gone. I don't need the PT Barnum smoke screen garbage to try and make me think you are a good photographer. I grew out of that kid and their cereal stage many years ago. I care about the product, not the toy on package.
 
+1 :thumbup: Plus it is more professional IMO.

Maybe, but for how long? Attitudes are changing.

Not really. "Attitudes are changing" has become the catch phrase for "I'm too lazy, or I'm too hip, or I am on the cutting edge" or a multitude of other excuses.

Walk into my place of business or many others looking for a job in casual attire, well have a nice time filling out the forms, cause that is as far as you are going to get. Were not talking about McDonalds here. Casual is fine if you are looking for a McJob. If you are looking for a career then you conform to it, not the other way around.

If I am looking for a photographer, the last thing I care about is seeing photos on a screen, computer, iPad or otherwise. I want to see how their work translates to print. Lots of stuff looks "good" on a computer, lcd etc. How many threads are there about prints not matching the screen when the pictures look so nice on the computer monitor? How many threads about why are my pictures so dark or so light, they looked good on the LCD? If I am looking at your work to evaluate it and possibly hire you, I want to see a hard copy, not a digital copy that I am seeing based on the parameters that may or may not be correctable on some device.

Same thing with all these photographers web sites these days with all the stupid Flash, fluff and music. If you have a good product to sell, it will sell itself and if your site does not have a skip flash check box and a kill the stupid music check box, I am gone. I don't need the PT Barnum smoke screen garbage to try and make me think you are a good photographer. I grew out of that kid and their cereal stage many years ago. I care about the product, not the toy on package.

Obviously has never worked for a start up. Most of the internships, even my Adobe one was pretty lax about that stuff. I mean obviously, for the Adobe I did get dressed up but that's just because I nervous. When work actually started, no one wore a tie to work.

And I know at least one wedding photographer who only only does proofs on his iPad. Now hee still has a print portfolio but when it comes to day to day stuff with clients, he doesn't ever bother printing anymore.

This may be more applicable in my industry but NO ONE wants a print graphic design portfolio anymore. You NEED a website and that's all they'll want. This is the same in the animation and videogame design world too. Heck, I know one of my friends was asked to bring his two best .obj files for a 3D model. They didn't even need to see the final rendering or to have it output a standard jpeg format. He just gave them the files on a thumb drive and all they did in the interview was prod around the mesh with a laptop and answer why he made the decisions that he's made. After that, they asked if they could keep the files for reference or if they should delete it.

But there was a time (a brief one) where 3D modelers did need a print porfolio. Now a days... even portfolios are becoming out of date. Just show them your 'RAWS' so to speak.

EDIT: But yes about the music and Flash. Eff that garbage. Flash, as a plugin for web needs to die. It's out of date, it's memory intensive and it rarely enhances your web experience. Same with music playing in the background. It seems photographers are the last and still are learning that this DOES NOT work for a website, it does not add to it in any way. The rest of the internet has figured this out... 7 years ago! Still I find that photography portfolio sites are the most numerous offenders.
 
Last edited:
Yep seeing how both are used as in Printed Portfolio and in this now fast as you can world where having a web-site or ipad or electronic display to show customers is becoming the more preferred methods and in the realm of acceptable for a lot of clients. And there is no reason I cannot think of where it's wrong to have many outlets for your works.

Personally the cheapest route was a B&N Color Nook at $250 and can be rooted to full android tablet.

1) Can now read & see Photography Magazines and Books how they were meant to be seen.
2) Full web support & email including database of Images,price lists,etc...
3) Photography type apps like Dof calculator, or flash setup diagrams or just plain quick access to any photography info. Also full manuals to camera,lenses and flashes when a quick lookup is required.
4) Of course portfolio of images on device or web browse to your portfolio site.
5) And just like it was intended for great reading e-books or magazines,newspapers,etc..


B&N's Nook Color 2 of 2 by Orbmiser, on Flickr

And feel it's about the best can be had under $300 new. And smaller screen is a turn off but being smaller fits in big coat pocket or small cam bag side pocket a lot easier than the bigger boys. And screen is just as vibrant and rated as good as the ipad.
.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom