Portfolio Site.

LuminatX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.trevorroberts.tk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok so I've started to set together a portfolio site.
And I'm looking for input/opinions on it, and what I should do to improve it.

At the moment I'm aware I need to buy a domain name, which will end up being my first/last name (www.trevorroberts.ca) but money right now is tight, so bare with me.

The name whitelight photography will probably just end up being changed to my name as well, i just wanted something for now.

Keep in mind, I didn't pay for this, I've created/coded the whole site myself, and I haven't gone to school for this kind of thing, I just self taught myself haha.

http://www.trevor-roberts.com

Last edited:
Um, first right off the bat, i dont like how it opens up in the skateboarding section, i understand that might be a big thing for you as a photographer, but opening up to lets say nature creates a whole different vibe, just something to think about.

Also, i dont love how it asks you are you sure you want to leave the page, gives me a feeling of, now youre trapped!

But lastly, great website, tiny flaws like i just mentioned, but im really digging it

It loads too slowly for one thing. I don't like how the vertical images spill of the bottom of the page and you need to scroll down to see them. Either use smaller images or make it so the pages load with it already centered. In all honesty, the thing that need the most work is the photography. Focus on that. Too many people get all worried about portoflio websites and web design and blah blah too soon. Work on you portfolio, then work on you portfolio website.

Ok so I've started to set together a portfolio site.
And I'm looking for input/opinions on it, and what I should do to improve it.

At the moment I'm aware I need to buy a domain name, which will end up being my first/last name (www.trevorroberts.ca) but money right now is tight, so bare with me.

The name whitelight photography will probably just end up being changed to my name as well, i just wanted something for now.

Keep in mind, I didn't pay for this, I've created/coded the whole site myself, and I haven't gone to school for this kind of thing, I just self taught myself haha.

whitelightphoto.tk
The domain name is available, you can't buy a domain name, but you can rent it, and it only costs $13 USD per year if you rent it through GoDaddy.com.

It loads too slowly for one thing. I don't like how the vertical images spill of the bottom of the page and you need to scroll down to see them. Either use smaller images or make it so the pages load with it already centered.

Im not sure why your having this problem.
It loads pretty fast for me, there is no image spill, and the pictures do load in the center of the page.

so maybe you need a better computer with a higher resolution.
(im currently on 1440x900)

The home page should be like a welcome. Usually throwing something at the user, like a large photography, is not a good idea. An intro to the sight might be nice, as well as maybe a vision of where you intend to go with the site.

Cleverdot.com is $8.88 yearly, and offers reasonable hosting prices as well.

The home page should be like a welcome. Usually throwing something at the user, like a large photography, is not a good idea. An intro to the sight might be nice, as well as maybe a vision of where you intend to go with the site.

Cleverdot.com is $8.88 yearly, and offers reasonable hosting prices as well.

Do you have a site?
maybe i could check yours out.

Your website is a good start. I think the black background was a little overwhelming and seemed to make your thumbnails seem small.
I also found the pictures slow to load. Not snail-like but they didn't just pop open for me and I too was distracted by having to scroll down to see the bottom of the picture after I opened it.
I think you have an interesting start and it will be fun to see what it looks like when you have more content in it.

are you going for the vignette in some of your photos or is your lens hood causing it. id sujest cropping it out, changing hood, or zoom in a bit more

so maybe you need a better computer with a higher resolution.
(im currently on 1440x900)

Maybe you need to design for the masses, and not your specs. :er:

agreed.

as a web designer, i can tell you that typically you should design for 1024x768...i know it sounds archaic, but you'd be surprised how many people still rock a 17" at that res.

hmm so ill resize the photos so they are smaller, and load faster.
and try and make the site work better for all you people with old ass computers haha.

Thanks for all the advice though, this is exactly what im looking for to help improve.

hmm so ill resize the photos so they are smaller, and load faster.
and try and make the site work better for all you people with old ass computers haha.

Thanks for all the advice though, this is exactly what im looking for to help improve.

For someone who is self taught that is a pretty good effort. The points above are valid - especially about the screen break caused by enlarged images.

When your content appears on screen nothing should break the viewers concentration, especially a scroll bar to see the rest of it.

If keep the same design but apply some of the principles from the 960 framework located here then it will work much better.

Good luck

Most reactions

New Topics

Back