Portfolio?

tevo

Recovering TPF Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
(I'm not sure this is the right board to post in, please redirect me if this is so)

I have been shooting 'professionally' (100% of my income) for almost 2 years now, and I am looking to put together a (web) portfolio consisting of all my work, something I can present to a school or potential employer. It would consist of my photography, as well as graphic design and other media related works. I have heard of 500px which I am in the process of looking at, I am also aware of tumblr (which I'd like to avoid) and blogspot. My vision is having a dedicated website or page on a website, and it may be more beneficial for me to just buy a domain name and design it myself - I am open to suggestion. Are there any other portfolio services TPF recommends? I am also looking for a (n online) venue through which I can market myself, but that is not as big of a priority at this point.

Tl;dnr: What web portfolio service would TPF recommend?

TEVO!!! We were just talking about you earlier today! Where have you been, son? :mrgreen:

TEVO!!! We were just talking about you earlier today! Where have you been, son? :mrgreen:

Hi :sexywink:

I have been busy with life... finally found time to shoot for myself again! I missed TPF <3

Also where were you talking about me.......

I can't believe you have been shooting professionally for two years and don't have a web site. Well, I guess it depends what you do and who your boss/clients are.

There are certainly a lot of people (including many pros) who use other sites to show their work. I'd suggest that having your own website is quite important, and part of the reason for using those other sites, is to increase the SEO of your own site and your 'brand'.

If it's a matter of effort and cost, it's very easy and relatively cheap to set up your own site on your own domain etc. If it's mainly for hosting your portfolio, a place to direct people to, that is no problem. But if you want/need that site to generate new business for you...that's a whole different ball game and it's a very competitive and constantly changing world. I don't really understand it at all...and that's probably why my site doesn't get many visitors...:lol:

depending on whether you want a place just to showcase pictures, or a whole business website, Wix, Smugmug, and zenfolio are often mentioned here. they all have different levels of service where you can do just a portfolio, or a business site. im sure there are plenty other sites too. you'll just have to look around and compare to see which one is right for you.

Welcome back!
I absolutely love PortfolioSitez which is where my website is hosted. I bought the domain through 1 and 1 I think. My sports site is GoDaddy and that's where I bought it. PITA. Love the ease of PortfolioSitez much more.
Doesn't matter where you buy the domain. I bought where it was cheapest at the time!

I can't believe you have been shooting professionally for two years and don't have a web site. Well, I guess it depends what you do and who your boss/clients are.

There are certainly a lot of people (including many pros) who use other sites to show their work. I'd suggest that having your own website is quite important, and part of the reason for using those other sites, is to increase the SEO of your own site and your 'brand'.

If it's a matter of effort and cost, it's very easy and relatively cheap to set up your own site on your own domain etc. If it's mainly for hosting your portfolio, a place to direct people to, that is no problem. But if you want/need that site to generate new business for you...that's a whole different ball game and it's a very competitive and constantly changing world. I don't really understand it at all...and that's probably why my site doesn't get many visitors...:lol:

Well when I say professional I mean that's where my income is coming from. I shoot freelance for a company, and they pay me. My name isn't on the pictures I take, the company's name is. But I am trying to focus a bit more on my work outside of freelancing, and ultimately marketing myself.

Tevo!! My man!!!! Glad to see you back!!! BTW...have you SEEN how awesome images look on the new Apple Retina display devices??? of course this is for person-to-person display, not web-based. But still...

Anyway, glad to see ya!

Tevo!! My man!!!! Glad to see you back!!! BTW...have you SEEN how awesome images look on the new Apple Retina display devices??? of course this is for person-to-person display, not web-based. But still...

Anyway, glad to see ya!

Hey there Derrel, I missed you :D And yeah I was at an Apple store the other day... I kick myself because I got my shiny new MacBook Pro the year before the retina comes out :madass: But I work with what I have ^_^

I like Portfoliositez as well and have almost convinced myself to switch over (love Qufoto but their mobile version sucks balllllz). Just make sure whatever site you choose has a mirror site for mobile/ tablet devices.

I like Portfoliositez as well and have almost convinced myself to switch over (love Qufoto but their mobile version sucks balllllz). Just make sure whatever site you choose has a mirror site for mobile/ tablet devices.

I hadn't even thought of that. I'll keep that in mind

So I had a photographer recommend SmugMug.com to me, and it looks very nice. It also looks like I can use it as a marketing venue later on. Anyone used it before?

tevo said:
So I had a photographer recommend SmugMug.com to me, and it looks very nice. It also looks like I can use it as a marketing venue later on. Anyone used it before?

I use it for private online galleries for my clients. My website is linking to it.

janineh said:
I use it for private online galleries for my clients. My website is linking to it.

Is it worth the $150 a year or whatever it is? I'm using it as a portfolio for now, and later on a means of selling my work.

Most reactions

Back