What's new

Portfolio

I'm no expert but I have looked at your nice pics, and I think your money would be better spent on a lens/lessons/macdonalds...... before wasting your time and money with 500pix
Get better.... learn more....don't waste your money if you don't have too...
 
All of your photos have the subject dead center in the image. I would say study up on composition. Start with the rule of thirds.
 
Perhaps the proverbial cart is a few kilometers ahead of the horse. Try a free website like WIX.
 
Sorry, I can't agree. Only because it's the kind of photography I enjoy. Just well exposed "nice" photo's. I enjoyed paging through this portfolio.
Are they all composed according to some rules that are apparently written in stone somewhere? No. Do they HAVE to be...NO!

I enjoy capturing everyday subjects. Just as they are. My camera, my time, my photo's. Do I get feedback? Nope, not much. Will I change after 40 years behind a lens. Nope. No reason to.

BTW Raven...Nice job.
 
Light Guru said:
All of your photos have the subject dead center in the image. I would say study up on composition. Start with the rule of thirds.

It's pretty easy to just say study composition and the rule of thirds...dont need a forum for that. Instead, explain to the OP what the rule of thirds is, why it is important in composition, and under what conditions you should break it.
It isnt the LAW of thirds after all.
Im not a pro, nor have the answer to that question so i will defer to more experienced photographers.
 
Light Guru said:
All of your photos have the subject dead center in the image. I would say study up on composition. Start with the rule of thirds.

It's pretty easy to just say study composition and the rule of thirds...dont need a forum for that. Instead, explain to the OP what the rule of thirds is, why it is important in composition, and under what conditions you should break it.
It isnt the LAW of thirds after all.
Im not a pro, nor have the answer to that question so i will defer to more experienced photographers.

Vary true the rule of thirds is not a law and there are many instances when the composition is stronger without it.

If you look at the images in the link you well see that all of them are simply placed in the middle of the frame.

There is already so much information out there on the rule of thirds that i dont think it is needed that i explain it here. Simply typing rule of thirds into google or into the forum search will give the OP more then enough information on the subject. I was simply just trying to point the OP in the right direction.
 
500px is great and easy to use. i use it over flickr to host some photos when i need to.
there is some really great stuff posted on there if you look at the daily postings.
 
I am really, REALLY tired of hearing about "the rule of thirds" Yes we all know about it. It's been around since the 1700's. I know it sounds really cool, but can't we find another rule to use to put people's photos down with?
 
I am really, REALLY tired of hearing about "the rule of thirds" Yes we all know about it. It's been around since the 1700's. I know it sounds really cool, but can't we find another rule to use to put people's photos down with?

If everyone knew about it then why is it always brought up as a suggestion to improve photos and make them more then just snapshot.

I personally am not a fan of the term "rule of thirds" something like the "suggestion of thirds" or the "compositional guideline of thirds".

The rule of thirds is not a law but it still is a useful tool in composition. When not using it you should be aware that you are not and be doing it on purpose.

What other basic and easy to learn things do you sagest to help people to improve their composition?
 
Rule of thirds or not, looking at the OP's pictures some of them I would say were animal portraits and are just fine in the middle. Some of them could benefit from composition but overall, I find them pleasing.
 
I personally enjoy breaking the rule of thirds, the first reason is it make the shots how I want them, not how the rules state, also it irritates people and gets people talking about my shots! They are exposed correctly, they are well focused, all in all reasonable shots, just not composed as they "should be". Thank you Rick58 for your agreement with this!

I take on board what you say Light Guru, in regards to my composition, it is not perfect and does need more thought, possible shoot further away and crop more, thank you for your comments all!
 
I personally enjoy breaking the rule of thirds

We can only judge your experience by what you show us. If there were examples where you followed rules of composition, we would assume you "chose" to break them and could comparatively derive why you might have made that choice. Your portfolio, as it currently stands, leads folks to believe it was a lack of understanding and not so much a choice. This is why you received the comments you did.

To me, your portfolio indicates you made the "choices" you did because you were not aware that there were better choices.
 
Well that is to you, also, I only made my portfolio a few days ago, with a few shots I had to hand. I have many more that I have not included yet as I work full time and unfortunately will not be able to yet.

I am aware of better "choices". I just don't like to "choose" them. I didn't realize when I signed up for this forum that these "choices" would take me back to 1850, where If i didn't follow the "rules" I would be beaten and thrown back in the kitchen for being different.

Luckily I take all criticism and composure to the rules is something I will take on board, however, I cannot see this changing what I do. but thank you for your input.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom