What's new

Portfolio

I'm not trying to be a pro, I'm new to the forum, but not photography. I may only recently have bought the camera I have now, it doesn't mean I haven't done it for much longer than that!

And where has this "every subject is in the centre thing" come from? I do centre a lot yes, but not all!

DSCF9068.jpg


DSCF9058.jpg


16102011079.jpg


16102011041.jpg


DSCF1923.jpg


DSCF1655.jpg


DSCF1329.jpg
 
I'm not trying to be a pro, I'm new to the forum, but not photography. I may only recently have bought the camera I have now, it doesn't mean I haven't done it for much longer than that!

If you're not trying to be a pro, then why are you going to pay to have a hosted portfolio? If it's just to have pictures up to show your friends, facebook is fine for that purpose.
 
I like your shots. But why do you need these shots in a portfolio?

Because I got a free 14 day trial with 500px and liked it.

I mean if you just want to pay for it, fine, its your money to spend however you please. Our comments are mostly based on the fact that this isn't a good portfolio. Because a portfolio has a definite purpose to it that these shots don't fulfill.

If you were to post some of these as single shots for C&C, I think they'd be recieved very well. But as a portfolio they simply don't work very well. That was our issue, I think, to the extent I can speak for many of the other commenters.

If you simply intended the portfolio to be a collection of pleasant pictures, and you want to pay $50 a year for that, then fine, by all means go ahead. They're pleasant.
 
I'm not trying to be a pro, I'm new to the forum, but not photography. I may only recently have bought the camera I have now, it doesn't mean I haven't done it for much longer than that!

If you're not trying to be a pro, then why are you going to pay to have a hosted portfolio? If it's just to have pictures up to show your friends, facebook is fine for that purpose.

So I have somewhere to have them, something that is nice to look at, I hate Facebook and Flickr is the ugliest site ever. Photobucket is rubbish. I just want somewhere to keep my nice pictures, the ones I like.

I don't understand the issue? It is my money? It works out at £2.50 a month for unlimited storage that's the key. Almost the same as Flickr but it looks better and functions smoother. Why is that such an issue if I want to do this?
 
I like your shots. But why do you need these shots in a portfolio?

Because I got a free 14 day trial with 500px and liked it.

I mean if you just want to pay for it, fine, its your money to spend however you please. Our comments are mostly based on the fact that this isn't a good portfolio. Because a portfolio has a definite purpose to it that these shots don't fulfill.

If you were to post some of these as single shots for C&C, I think they'd be recieved very well. But as a portfolio they simply don't work very well. That was our issue, I think, to the extent I can speak for many of the other commenters.

If you simply intended the portfolio to be a collection of pleasant pictures, and you want to pay $50 a year for that, then fine, by all means go ahead. They're pleasant.

I have posted individuals up, I was trying to get into a Flickr/500px discussion, as many people I know use Flickr Pro, but I genuinely think its an ugly site.
 
I'm not trying to be a pro, I'm new to the forum, but not photography. I may only recently have bought the camera I have now, it doesn't mean I haven't done it for much longer than that!

If you're not trying to be a pro, then why are you going to pay to have a hosted portfolio? If it's just to have pictures up to show your friends, facebook is fine for that purpose.

So I have somewhere to have them, something that is nice to look at, I hate Facebook and Flickr is the ugliest site ever. Photobucket is rubbish. I just want somewhere to keep my nice pictures, the ones I like.

I don't understand the issue? It is my money? It works out at £2.50 a month for unlimited storage that's the key. Almost the same as Flickr but it looks better and functions smoother. Why is that such an issue if I want to do this?

The point is that you asked us what we thought of your portfolio. You got the responses you got because of the questions you asked. Your thread title is 'portfolio'. This would be a bad portfolio. As others have communicated, as a portfolio it says 'I don't understand the rule of thirds and I take pictures that nobody pays to have done.'

If you had stated 'hey guys, I don't plan on using this as a portfolio to sell to clients, but what do you guys think of these few pictures?!' you may well have gotten very different feedback because that would be an entirely different question.
 
Because I got a free 14 day trial with 500px and liked it.

I mean if you just want to pay for it, fine, its your money to spend however you please. Our comments are mostly based on the fact that this isn't a good portfolio. Because a portfolio has a definite purpose to it that these shots don't fulfill.

If you were to post some of these as single shots for C&C, I think they'd be recieved very well. But as a portfolio they simply don't work very well. That was our issue, I think, to the extent I can speak for many of the other commenters.

If you simply intended the portfolio to be a collection of pleasant pictures, and you want to pay $50 a year for that, then fine, by all means go ahead. They're pleasant.

I have posted individuals up, I was trying to get into a Flickr/500px discussion, as many people I know use Flickr Pro, but I genuinely think its an ugly site.

I don't like flickr either as a site, but its great for hosting images you then put other places. I mean who actually besides you is going to go to the site and look through your galleries? You have them on your computer. To the extent these sorts of sites are useful, they're useful to give to potential clients (which we already talked about the issues there) or to post images to other sites (such as this one) that are posted there.
 
Well as I said, I'm not a professional photographer, and as it is called a "portfolio" on 500px, that is what I posted it as on here. I never said I got paid, or was pro. Mind you, didn't think I'd get my head ripped off about a few pictures I took either!
 
Well as I said, I'm not a professional photographer, and as it is called a "portfolio" on 500px, that is what I posted it as on here. I never said I got paid, or was pro. Mind you, didn't think I'd get my head ripped off about a few pictures I took either!

Well, you should at least be aware of what the term portfolio means. It's called 'portfolio' on 500px, because they intend for it to be used as a portfolio. ie a collection of pictures to show to clients (or potential bosses) in order to get you paying work. That's what a portfolio is.

We 'ripped your head off' because you asked us what we thought, and we told you that this simply wasn't a very good portfolio.
 
With few exceptions it has been my observation here on TPF that those who proudly announce that rules are meant to broken (i.e. rule of thirds) are the ones who post less than pleasing images. I feel this is the cool cyber way of taking a defensive stance rather than just saying, "Hey, you're right. I'll work on that next time." These are also ones who received pats on the head from friends and family and then are shocked back into reality when joining a community of different skill levels. We see this all the time with the Facebook mommies with their Rebel cameras. A while back, a member tried to backup their claims that amazing photographs can be made by disregarding every rule. They posted links and guess what? Every photograph had some form of rule in the image.

Raven- you're explanation of why you choose to break the rules is not convincing. If you're new, then how can you state you know what you're doing without first mastering basic photographic guidelines? Saying you like to irritate people by centering shots is a cop out.

I would also like to point out, that with few exceptions it has been my observation here on TPF that those who proudly (and loudly) announce every "rule" that a picture has allegedly broken, are the ones that rarely offer any other insight besides "that needs portrait orientation" or, "study the rule of thirds". I feel this is the cool cyber way of taking the easy way out rather than offering any significant insight as to how the error could have been corrected. a simple "this would have looked better in portrait because...." or, the rule of thirds might have worked better here because..." or even, this needed better lighting, and this is how you could have done it..." would be a far better critique. unless of course, the sole purpose is to trash the picture. instead we see..."go study the rule of thirds", or "go read up on lighting" or "go read your cameras manual". YES..ALL OF THAT should be done. and usually before the post was made. but seriously people, this is a photography forum on the internet...and SOMETIMES, the only thing stupider than the newbie questions we get here, are the newbie-esque answers that are given. how are we supposed to expect the new photographers to take our advice (not mine of course), assimilate our critique, and follow our suggestions, when half the C&C is just as asinine as the newbies lack of research? when giving C&C, if your intention is to teach, then teach. if your intention is to just put down someones work for the sake of making yourself look better, or seem smarter...please just refrain from commenting.

P.S. I dont lump Tee in with that lot, i was just hijacking this post. :mrgreen:
 
True, but this is uncalled for...

I'm no expert but I have looked at your nice pics, and I think your money would be better spent on a lens/lessons/macdonalds......

Which, lets be honest, none of these things can be bought for £2.50 a month! :scratch:
 
Saying you like to irritate people by centering shots is a cop out.

Not centering, just not following the rule of thirds...

I would also like to point out, that with few exceptions it has been my observation here on TPF that those who proudly (and loudly) announce every "rule" that a picture has allegedly broken, are the ones that rarely offer any other insight besides "that needs portrait orientation" or, "study the rule of thirds". I feel this is the cool cyber way of taking the easy way out rather than offering any significant insight as to how the error could have been corrected. a simple "this would have looked better in portrait because...." or, the rule of thirds might have worked better here because..." or even, this needed better lighting, and this is how you could have done it..." would be a far better critique. unless of course, the sole purpose is to trash the picture. instead we see..."go study the rule of thirds", or "go read up on lighting" or "go read your cameras manual". YES..ALL OF THAT should be done. and usually before the post was made. but seriously people, this is a photography forum on the internet...and SOMETIMES, the only thing stupider than the newbie questions we get here, are the newbie-esque answers that are given. how are we supposed to expect the new photographers to take our advice (not mine of course), assimilate our critique, and follow our suggestions, when half the C&C is just as asinine as the newbies lack of research? when giving C&C, if your intention is to teach, then teach. if your intention is to just put down someones work for the sake of making yourself look better, or seem smarter...please just refrain from commenting.

P.S. I dont lump Tee in with that lot, i was just hijacking this post. :mrgreen:

Pretty much what I was saying, C&C not just C. Help people, don't just rip them down.
 
With few exceptions it has been my observation here on TPF that those who proudly announce that rules are meant to broken (i.e. rule of thirds) are the ones who post less than pleasing images. I feel this is the cool cyber way of taking a defensive stance rather than just saying, "Hey, you're right. I'll work on that next time." These are also ones who received pats on the head from friends and family and then are shocked back into reality when joining a community of different skill levels. We see this all the time with the Facebook mommies with their Rebel cameras. A while back, a member tried to backup their claims that amazing photographs can be made by disregarding every rule. They posted links and guess what? Every photograph had some form of rule in the image.

Raven- you're explanation of why you choose to break the rules is not convincing. If you're new, then how can you state you know what you're doing without first mastering basic photographic guidelines? Saying you like to irritate people by centering shots is a cop out.

I would also like to point out, that with few exceptions it has been my observation here on TPF that those who proudly (and loudly) announce every "rule" that a picture has allegedly broken, are the ones that rarely offer any other insight besides "that needs portrait orientation" or, "study the rule of thirds". I feel this is the cool cyber way of taking the easy way out rather than offering any significant insight as to how the error could have been corrected. a simple "this would have looked better in portrait because...." or, the rule of thirds might have worked better here because..." or even, this needed better lighting, and this is how you could have done it..." would be a far better critique. unless of course, the sole purpose is to trash the picture. instead we see..."go study the rule of thirds", or "go read up on lighting" or "go read your cameras manual". YES..ALL OF THAT should be done. and usually before the post was made. but seriously people, this is a photography forum on the internet...and SOMETIMES, the only thing stupider than the newbie questions we get here, are the newbie-esque answers that are given. how are we supposed to expect the new photographers to take our advice (not mine of course), assimilate our critique, and follow our suggestions, when half the C&C is just as asinine as the newbies lack of research? when giving C&C, if your intention is to teach, then teach. if your intention is to just put down someones work for the sake of making yourself look better, or seem smarter...please just refrain from commenting.

I agree here. Some people view the rule of thirds as a rule, not a design concept with a logic behind it. I've seen people apply the rule of thirds when it totally killed the image to do so. People who actually know a lot about composition almost never refer to the rule of thirds. Instead, they tend to talk about having a place for the the image to lead, balancing the image visually, etc. From that, the rule of thirds will sort of emerge. The rule of thirds as applied by a lot of people here is a very crude rule of thumb, that works a decent amount of the time, but really works better when you stop thinking in terms of 'the rule of thirds' and instead think in terms of more fundamental issues of balance, movement and geometry.
 
Saying you like to irritate people by centering shots is a cop out.

Not centering, just not following the rule of thirds...

I would also like to point out, that with few exceptions it has been my observation here on TPF that those who proudly (and loudly) announce every "rule" that a picture has allegedly broken, are the ones that rarely offer any other insight besides "that needs portrait orientation" or, "study the rule of thirds". I feel this is the cool cyber way of taking the easy way out rather than offering any significant insight as to how the error could have been corrected. a simple "this would have looked better in portrait because...." or, the rule of thirds might have worked better here because..." or even, this needed better lighting, and this is how you could have done it..." would be a far better critique. unless of course, the sole purpose is to trash the picture. instead we see..."go study the rule of thirds", or "go read up on lighting" or "go read your cameras manual". YES..ALL OF THAT should be done. and usually before the post was made. but seriously people, this is a photography forum on the internet...and SOMETIMES, the only thing stupider than the newbie questions we get here, are the newbie-esque answers that are given. how are we supposed to expect the new photographers to take our advice (not mine of course), assimilate our critique, and follow our suggestions, when half the C&C is just as asinine as the newbies lack of research? when giving C&C, if your intention is to teach, then teach. if your intention is to just put down someones work for the sake of making yourself look better, or seem smarter...please just refrain from commenting.

P.S. I dont lump Tee in with that lot, i was just hijacking this post. :mrgreen:

Pretty much what I was saying, C&C not just C. Help people, don't just rip them down.

beggars can't be choosers either. You should be really thankful for the amount of feedback your thread got. The amount of commentary it generated. This is much more helpful than a lot of C&C threads around here that just drop to the bottom of the page like a rock with just 1 or 2 random "I really like this set!" type comments.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom